IV - Human

Dedication goes out to banxanas_klls! Thank you so much! I appreciate the feedback so much, you cutie :-)

-

Luke:

-

"You are doing what?" Isaac's surprised tone is more than obvious as I tuck a gray blazer into the small confines of the black suitcase given to me upon leaving the Hall of Rectitude.

"I am to become a human." I repeat the news to the flabbergasted angel, whose face displays only astonishment and wonder. I continue, "Margaret needs me terribly ."

Isaac's expression changes to one of confusion. "And you plan to help her by becoming a human?" He tries to reason with me, knowing that for an angel to go through transformation is an extreme measure to take, and a painful one at that.

I shake my head, zipping the suitcase closed as the blazer was the last of my packing to do. "The Almighty instructed me to do so. It is not of my own choosing."

Isaac's mouth goes agape at my words. "The Almighty spoke with you?"

I nod in response, "Yes."

There is a long silence between my friend and I as we both take a moment to let this news sink in. My friend's expression shifts to solemnity, not taking his eyes off of me. "Margaret is not like the other people, is she?"

Shaking my head in response, I lower my voice despite the only ones in the vicinity being Isaac and myself. "Evidently not."

Isaac's eyes brighten in response to these two words. "A heart of gold..." He trails off, his tone low and full of wonder.

I bow my head, confirming his words.

He beams at me, laughing slightly. I send him a questioning look, wondering what he could possibly find amusing.

"It is just..." He pauses, letting a chuckle escape his lips, "And you thought I got better off with my nervous pottery crafter. You were assigned to protect a gem."

I smile, now realizing the truth in his words. I was indeed assigned to protect a gem; a person born with rare characteristics making them all-the-more important to protect.

Grinning, I puff out my chest a bit, standing up tall. "And protect her I will."

-

"Luke, are you ready?"

I open my eyes, turning my head to look up at Donovan from the white table I am laid out on. In my right hand is the handle to my suitcase. In the other is a stress ball I am allowed to grip to cope with the pain I will experience during the transition from angel to human.

The chubby angel looks at me, his expression almost sympathetic as he grips his scrolls tightly. Solemnly, I nod in response, not being able to squeak out any words of confirmation. Sweat beads down my forehead as I fear the pain awaiting me.

"Everything on Earth has been arranged for you." Donovan reads off of his parchment, his voice ringing out through the near empty room. He continues, "You will find yourself in a residence - which is yours for the keeping - in Seattle, the city where Margaret Jane Floyd resides in. Further information and instruction will be provided on a table near where you will stand upon arrival."

I make no effort to respond, my mind racing a thousand miles per hour.

Earth is such an unpredictable place, and for an unknown amount of time, I will be a resident; not a visitor. Until Margaret is saved from herself and those around her, I will be human. And this simple fact alone is something I cannot fathom.