XI - Fibbing

Dedication goes out to the oh so lovely readytorunrejects for being such an amazing person and reader! your feedback always makes me laugh and basically you're amazing and i want to hug you v much :-)

-

Luke:

-

"Wait! Please, I did not mean to offend you!" I call after the short brunette, walking at a brisk pace in her wake as she weaves upstream through the crowd, away from me.  

I do not know where I went wrong.

One minute, she was avoiding my gaze but nonetheless listening intently to what I had to say, the next she was storming out of the coffee shop, ears pink and mouth pursed, seeming to want nothing to do with me. 

Perhaps I crossed the line when I voiced the assumption that she needs someone in her life who cares about her. Though, I struggle to fathom as to why she would take offense to this. Nonetheless, I regret it now. I am in no position to be making bad impressions on people, especially her.

"Margaret!" I call after her once more, to which she whips around, her face pinker than it was in the coffee shop.

"Don't call me that, you don't even know me!" She sputters out. She appears to be struggling to articulate words so I take advantage of her silence to speak once I am of talking distance away from her. 

"Please, forgive me. I wish it unsaid." I shake my head in shame, trying to secure eye contact with the fidgety brunette opposite me.

She tuts, staring up at the sky while sighing, a cloud of steam escaping from her lips in the crisp air. Margar- Margo shakes her head, her eyes closed in frustration before pulling me closer to a building at the side of the pavement so as to not be in the way of passersby. 

"What do you want?" She seems to be struggling with her temper, obviously annoyed.

I clear my throat, "I want to apologize. I had no right to make assumptions about you or cause you distress-"

"Please, just talk normal." She lets out a sigh. To this, I furrow my eyebrows in confusion, frowning at her. Talk normal? "Never mind, just go on." She waves her hand in dismissal of my bewilderment. 

I hesitate, looking around at bystanders who barely even acknowledge us before continuing with my apology. "Nevertheless, I just wish for you to know that I am sincerely sorry if I offended you in any way."

She lets out another deep sigh, the steam from her exhale blowing away in the direction of the wind as she composes herself. "Whatever..." 

"Am I forgiven?" I question, eyebrows raised in anticipation. 

She suppresses a small smile, looking almost touched at my concern. However, she covers her moment of sensitivity with a cough and an overly dramatic shiver to draw attention away from our exchange and onto the weather. 

"Would you care to go back to the café?" I question, cracking a smile down at the shorter girl in front of me as she tugs her plum coat tighter on her torso to compensate for the cold air. 

She glances around, looking a bit hesitant, but ultimately nods her head in response. To this, I turn in the direction of the shop, gesturing for her to lead the way. It is now that it occurs to me that this is the first time I have ever walked alongside Margaret Floyd with her perfectly conscious of my presence. 

The familiar bell to the café chimes to signify our entrance to the shop and the warm air envelopes us like a welcoming blanket, returning warmth back to my fingertips and chapped lips. I look over at Margo who nestles her face into the fluffy scarf wrapped around her neck, letting out a sigh of relief at the warm surroundings.