Guilt

Hey guys! Sorry this chapter took a little bit longer to get out then the previous ones. I've been working on it for a while. Thank you for all your support. Reading your comments make my day. Please give me feedback. It means a lot to me!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Roy's POV
The sun was just starting to shine over the mountains. I didn't sleep all night. She was gone. Her apartment was empty. It wasn't hard to tell that somebody had broken in. It was estimated that the break-in occurred around 9:45 PM, while she was walking me home. The attacker must have seen that she wasn't home and went looking in the alleyway.

"Colonel." said Furey "You look exhausted. Everything is being tested for fingerprints. There is nothing else you can do. You should go home and get some rest." I couldn't just leave since this was my fault. I started thinking about my old friend Maes Hughes.

Hughes and I went a long way back. We've been close ever since military training. Aside from Riza, he was my closest friend. He did like to chat a lot though. He always went on and on and on about his wife and daughter. He even saved my life one in Ishval.

One night Hughes was trying to contact me from an outside line, in a telephone booth. I picked up the phone expecting him to blab about his wife to me again, but when I answered the phone there was nothing but silence. Later in the morning I had found out that he had been killed in that very telephone booth. He was trying to tell me something.

I wondered if the same thing could've happened to Hawkeye. I imagined her, my Hawkeye, on the ground, covered in blood, motionless. The light in her eyes, gone. The color on her face, faded. The thought was too much for me. The world went black as I fell.

"Colonel! Colonel!" I heard I opened my eyes to see many faces staring down at me. "You fainted sir." said Breda. All of my men were there. All but one. "Where is Hawkeye?" I asked as I sat up. I was in her apartment. The memory started flooding back. "No!" I yelled "She's gone isn't she?" "Yes sir." Fallman said. "Sir please go home." Breda said. "This mission is starting to affect your health."

I had no choice but to go home. People were starting to worry about me. The walk to my apartment wasn't that long because Hawkeye and I lived so close to each other, but it was longer than usual because I had to avoid the alleyway. As I walked by I saw the neon yellow crime scene investigation tape, some investigators, and a pile of dried blood. I tried not to pay too much attention to it. The last thing I wanted now was for me to faint in front of all of these people. I kept my head down and didn't look up until I arrived at my apartment.

Even though I was exhausted I couldn't fall asleep easily. It was hard to fall asleep knowing that anything could happen to her while I was sleeping. She's my subordinate and my closest friend. I can't lose her! I could've protected her! If I hadn't been so stupid she still would be here. I looked over to the lighter that Hawkeye dropped. I did it again. How could I have hurt her again! I laid down on my bed and after a while sleep finally took me.

I was in some sort of white room. "Colonel!" I heard behind me I almost jumped at the voice. I spun around and Hawkeye was there. Why didn't you save me! She asked "You let me down again. This is your fault. I will never forgive you! How could you? I hate you!"

I woke up with a start. My breathing was quick and heavy. I was shaking in fear. I wasn't safe for my guilt even in my sleep. I needed to gather my thoughts. Placing the blame on myself wouldn't help Hawkeye or me right now. Focus

There was a knock on the door. It was Havoc. "Hey Colonel!" He said. "I know this must be extremely hard on you so I've come to keep you company." "That's nice," I said "but I'm fine." "How can you be just fine! The woman you love could be dead!" He said. My face turned pink. "The lieutenant and I are just close. There's nothing personal between us." I said. "Don't you forget that I was at the third laboratory when everything happened as well. I may have been passed out. But I could tell the lieutenant had been crying. And I doubt it was because of me. She was crying because of you! Because she loves you! I'm just surprised you didn't kiss her then and there." he said. "That's enough Havoc!" I yelled, starting to get frustrated. "Fine don't admit it he said but you're only hurting yourself!"

There was a knock on the door. It was Breda. "The fingerprints scan results have come back now. I thought you should be the first to look at them." He said. I quickly opened the top half of the envelope and threw the trash aside. "Damn!" I yelled. The fingerprint had no match. "Whoever did this has never been put into our system." I said. I was back to square one. I had no clues and I was starting to lose all hope.

I fell to my knees. What else can we do? Think damnit! Breda and Havoc left to inform the investigation team. It seems that our only option was to wait and see if the person who attacked Hawkeye will attack anyone else and leave any clues. That can't be it! I started to cry. I can't move on without her. I need her! I didn't know what to do. I didn't know what I could do. I always hated the rain because it made me feel useless. I thought that the rain was the only thing that could make me feel so pitiful and useless. But I was wrong. I had never felt more useless in my life that at that moment.

The investigation team was packing up to leave. They probably will just clean up the mess and leave as if nothing ever happened and tell everybody else in the neighborhood to go on with their lives. No! There has to be another clue. There has to be. I went back into the alleyway. Hawkeye was bleeding when her attacker left with her. She had to have been dripping blood as he left. But there was no path of blood.

Then it hit me. What is her attacker was an alchemist? He could've easily changed the walls in the alleyway and sealed them up behind him. It would've been the perfect escape route, leaving no trace. I sprinted back into the alleyway. The investigation team was still packing up there. I ran past them and looked at the walls. BINGO! Transmutation marks. I had to order the investigation team to knock down the wall. There was a dark tunnel leading underground. "Thank you all for your help, but I'll be taking care of this on my own. I started down the tunnel. I'm going to make those bastards pay.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ohhhhhhh what's going to happen? Sorry about this chapter being on the shorter side. I did my best to make it long without adding too many filler paragraphs. Comment what you think is going to happen!