12 → "BRAVE LITTLE SHANK"

12 "BRAVE LITTLE SHANK"

A/N: listen to the song attached while you read. It's the music from the first The Scorch Trials trailer.

"MAN, I WISH she'd shut up." Aris had said for the fifth time. After eating and resting, Minho got everyone moving again. The cluster of buildings got a lot closer. After a while of running, Minho yelled out for everyone to stop.

"Potty break." he said. "Bury your klunk and don't do it too close. We'll rest for fifteen, then we'll just walk awhile. I know you shanks can't keep up with Runners like me and Thomas."

"Charming." Adeline replied, wrinkling her nose in disgust.

"Hey." Minho said, hands on his hips. "Just because you're a girl, doesn't mean —"

"Yeah, yeah." Adeline flicked her hand at Minho, dismissing what he was about to say. "Just because I'm a girl doesn't mean I don't need to use the bathroom."

Adeline sat down, resisting the urge to lay on her back again. Her feet were burning. She'd never ran for so long, her legs weren't use to it. Maybe it wasn't such a bad thing after all that she was never a Runner in the Maze; she wouldn't last a day without complaining how exhausted she was and how sore her legs would have become.

"Hey!" Thomas yelled as Adeline had just settled down to rest. Adeline craned her neck to find Thomas pointing. "Looks like a little building up there, just a few minutes away, to the right some. You guys see it?"

"Yeah, I see it." Minho responded, walking up to stand next to him. "Wonder what it is."

Before Thomas could respond, two things happened. First, the screams of the girl stopped. Then, a figure of a girl appeared. The girl had stepped out from behind the building, or maybe from inside the building. Adeline couldn't really tell where she had come from. All she could see was that the girl just stood there, as if she was staring at them; debating if they were a threat.

"You think that's Teresa?" Newt asked.

"No clue." Thomas finally said with a shrug.

"You think she was the one screaming?" Frypan asked. "It stopped right when she walked out."

"Better bet is she was the one torturing somebody. Probably killed her and put her out of her misery when she saw us coming." Minho grunted, and for some reason clapped his hands once. "Okay, then, who wants to go meet this nice young lady?"