32 → "NO MORE GAMES"

32 "NO MORE GAMES"

THE MOMENT THE Berg had landed and the cargo door started to open, Thomas had called out for them to go. Adeline, Newt, and Minho started racing towards the Berg, their shoes squeaking in the mud. Adeline's knife was seated in the belt of her now charred, ripped and dirty pants, and her hand was close to it just in case. Minho was in front of her, Newt just behind. Newt started to struggle, his limp slightly slowing him down. Adeline reached back, holding out her hand for him. Once her hand slipped into his, she pumped her legs to go faster, pulling Newt along with her to catch up. They got just about 30 meters towards the Berg when a dozen of the bulb creatures appeared; and they were headed for a spot cutting off Adeline and her friends from the open cargo door. At least half of their bulbs had been busted, and their jerky movements showed it. The people in the Berg did nothing, only watched.

"Go right through 'em!" Thomas yelled. Minho, along with Newt and a few other Gladers, joined the charge. Adeline found herself besides Harriet. Everyone seemed to understand the plan: fight off these last few monsters and get out of there. The creatures swiped their blades through the air, roaring as they waited for them to charge. Adeline pulled out her knife, and as they charged the creatures once more, she was glad she now knew where she had to aim in order to beat these creatures. As they all moved forward, a rush of adrenaline coursed through Adeline. Adeline thrust her weapon at the last alive bulbs on the creature, smashing them. They all exploded with sparks. This continued on. Each light bulb shattered made it easier for her, and harder for the creature. The creature swiped at her with its blades, and Adeline ducked and swung her knife at an illuminated light bulb on its leg. She had only three more bulbs to destroy, and then it would die.

Pop, Pop, Po —

Somehow with its declining energy and strength, the creature slashed out the blades from it's stubby fingers, its blades slashing down her arm. Adeline cried out in pain, and then she slashed at the creature, shattering the last light bulb. The creature stumbled backwards and crashed to the ground, dead. As soon as the creature died, Adeline's hand shot to the arm she'd been slashed by the creature. Gritting her teeth, she tried not to buckle to the ground in exhaustion. Adeline spun around, finding Thomas had defeated his opponent. Minho and Jorge, also. Her eyes landed on Newt, who was favouring his bad leg, Brenda helping him stab out the remaining bulbs on his opponent. The Berg was twenty feet away. Then, the ship started to lift off the ground.

"It's leaving!" Thomas screamed, pointing frantically. "Hurry!"

Everyone was running now. Newt with his limp, Minho next to him, eyeing him to make sure he didn't fall. The Berg had reached three feet off the ground, slowly rising. A couple of Gladers and three girls reached it first, dove onto the platform of the open cargo door. Others reached it, climbed on, scrambled inside. Adeline reached the Berg just as Minho did, leaping onto the platform, almost slipping. Newt managed to get himself up, but Adeline and Minho had to pull him in. The Berg was still rising. Others climbing on, reaching to pull others up. The Berg was now six feet above the ground, starting to tilt. Three people still hung from the edge. Harriet and Newt were pulling a girl in. Minho was helping Aris. Brenda held on only with her hands, her body dangling as she kicked her feet and tried to pull herself up. Thomas dropped to his stomach and reached out and grabbed her right arm, Teresa got the other one. Jorge had planted his butt and feet, holding tightly to both Thomas and Teresa. Brenda finally came over the edge enough for her to get herself up and in.