26 → "CRAZY"

26 "CRAZY"

ANGER FLASHED ACROSS Matt's face. Adeline knew she'd proven her point. Matt had only saved her life because he was the Chancellor's son.

"Ava Paige wouldn't have let her guards shoot me on the spot because if she did, she knew you'd never forgive her. Even with the world scorched by Solar Flares and infested with lunatics driven mad by a virus, she couldn't handle her own son mad at her. But somehow she could send you up into a Maze and watch you forget about her." Adeline was just taunting Matt now. Matt glared at her, until he finally snapped, kicking at a crate to her right.

"You don't get it, you'll never get it!" Matt shrieked through gritted teeth. Matt paced back and forth, clenching his jaw.

"Never get what?" Adeline yelled at him.

"It wasn't the fact I'm her son that saved your god damn life!" Matt roared in frustration "You're one of the strongest potential candidates!" Adeline froze. "They wouldn't have killed you anyway. Ava couldn't do that. I just had to remind her that if she killed you, she would be no closer to finding the final candidate. If you really are the final candidate."

Adeline froze. "Final candidate? What do you mean I'm a final —"

Before Adeline could finish her question, there was the sound of metal breaking, the chains breaking away from the wall, before Matt was knocked to the ground. Adeline watched in horror as the Crank pinned Matt to the ground, locking her hands around his throat. Adeline glanced around, searching for something to free herself from the rope tying her arms around her back, when she found the machete Matt had earlier, just a few metres to her right. Using whatever strength she had, Adeline shuffled to her right, swerving her body so that she could reach the machete. As she got closer, Adeline reached her arms out, her skin rubbing against the rough texture of the rope. Stretching her fingers out, she felt the tip of her fingers make contact with the blade. Carefully and slowly, she managed to drag the machete into the palm of her hand, struggling against the ropes that restrained her from moving.

Before her, the male Crank was busy restraining the female Crank from Matt. With a struggle, she managed to get her right hand holding the butt of the machete, slowly moving the machete up so that the blade was near the rope. Then, she started to saw upwards, feeling the ropes loosen up each passing second until, finally, she felt the rope release and drop to the ground, giving her relief. Her right hand patted her waist, looking for the gun. The gun she'd saved from when Thomas was shot. When she found it, she didn't hesitate to pull it out from her pant belt, where it had been for days. Surprisingly, Matt hadn't thought to make sure she was armed or not. Faltering with the gun, she switched it off of safety, pointing it out in front of her. There were only four bullets left, and she planned for one of these bullets to find their way to the female Crank, who was now clawing at Matt. Stepping closer, she felt her heart beat rapidly inside her rib cage. She'd never handled a gun before. Although she still had the knife, she didn't want to use it; otherwise stabbing the Crank would result in a long, painful death. The female Crank deserved a quick and easy death; less suffering than she already was.

Adeline fired the gun in a random direction, causing the Crank to become distracted, hissing at the sound of the gunshot. Although she knew she shouldn't help him, Adeline kicked the machete towards his direction, hitting his arm. Then, Matt swung the butt of the machete towards the woman's temple, knocking her off of him. The Crank stumbled to the ground, before stumbling to get to her feet. The Crank was going more and more crazy each passing second, and as she got to her feet, Adeline stepped closer and closer, until the barrel of the gun was pointing at the woman's temple. Adeline couldn't believe she was going to shoot the women with a gun. To put her out of her misery. She couldn't believe that she was standing in this position, ready to take someone's life away. But then guilt was replaced with anger, and her finger slipped onto the trigger.

Squeezing her eyes shut, she pulled the trigger.

A/N: See what I did there? *prepares for angry emotional fangirls*

This chapter is very short, I apologize.