27 → "GROUP B"

27 "GROUP B"

THE CRANK FELL to the ground with a thunk, her beady eyes staring before her. Adeline's body trembled, holding onto the gun, still pointed in the same direction. Adeline squeezed her eyes shut, begging for this to be a nightmare. Everything came over her, engulfing her in a sudden state of melancholy; everything she'd been through, Matt betraying her. Killing the Crank had been the final straw. Tears threatened to fall, but Adeline clenched her jaw, trying to suppress the tears. She'd learnt that signs of weakness wouldn't help her survive in the Scorch. She didn't know how she had managed to survive this long, because if she was all alone out here, she would've died.

Out of nowhere, there was the sound of choking, followed by a gasp. The gasp was followed by a low wicked cackle like chuckle, which brought Adeline back to her senses. Eyes snapping open, Adeline spun around to the direction she'd heard it. There she found the other Crank, throat slit, his eyes bulging. From behind him, a face came into view from the darkness. It was Janson, holding a blood stained knife. Janson smirked at her, letting the Crank go. The Crank toppled onto the ground, gasping for breath as life drained from his eyes. But, Janson had no concern over the man, stepping over his body as he made his way towards her.

"Janson?" Adeline gasped. Janson gave her a slight nod, a sly smile tugging at his lips. "H .. how —"

"So many questions, so many answers." Was all Janson said.

Matt raised his eyebrow. "What're you doing here?"

"Stepping in," Janson said, directing his attention to Matt. "Stopping you from messing up our plans."

"What plans?" Adeline snapped.

"He means WICKED's precious plan to send two groups of innocent teenagers across the Scorch towards a Safe Haven that doesn't even exist." Matt said.

"Wait." Adeline rushed out. "The Safe Haven doesn't even exist?"

Matt shook his head. Anger boiled her blood. She'd spent almost two weeks trekking across the Scorch and fighting Cranks, hoping of a cure once reaching the Safe Haven, now only to find it didn't exist. Janson scowled at Matt. "So all of this was one big lie?"

"Sadly." but Janson's face was monotone as he said that, no signs of remorse.

"So, what're you going to do with us then?" Adeline quizzed. "Now that we know that the Safe Haven doesn't exist?"

"You're both gonna complete the Trial, anyway." Janson stated. "But you're gonna lie and pretend to believe that the Safe Haven exists. That you're going to get a cure for this disease. You're both extremely important to these trials, like the other subjects."