Issue 8 - Under False Pretenses

/////   -   /////   -   /////   -   \\\\\   -   \\\\\   -   \\\\\

Heroic will continue....

NOW!!!

/////   -   /////   -   /////   -   \\\\\   -   \\\\\   -   \\\\\

Mason evaluated the girl standing before him..

Amidst the sea of supermodels and carefully presented celebrities, Alice Everwood was a complete knockout. Her mildly tanned complexion perfectly complimented her black silk dress which slinked over a single shoulder and fell closely over her slender form. Her hair was wrapped up into a neat bun behind her head - adding that subtle touch of self-respecting class to her overall appearance. With the same naturally flushed lips and curled lashes as before, Mason was starting to wonder if she actually wore any makeup at all. Either way, she didn't need it.

“I thought you had a train to catch,” she said.

“Oh, I did, but - well, you know how unreliable public transportation can be in this damn city. I hear the trains in Border City are far less prone to... falling apart,” he said, taking a short pace towards her. “So, which gold-collared, oil tycoon’s arm are you decorating tonight?”

Alice scowled. “Are trying to imply that I’m some kind of gold digger?”

“Well, I wouldn't say 'imply'...”

She opened her mouth to speak, when another voice interrupted her.

“Alice!” the unknown voice croaked out like a siren.

Alice’s body locked up as she cringed, acting like she’d just heard a horrific car crash.

“Where have you gone, my dear?” said the voice.

Mason peeked over her shoulder to see a portly, old man searching the crowd for his misplaced date. With a well defined moustache made of thick, white hairs, a glass monocle and a walking cane; the only piece missing from his outfit was a tall, black top-hat.

Mason quickly slid behind Alice, placing himself between her and the man’s line of sight. He felt her muscles tense up even more beneath his touch. He kept her steady with his grip.

When the coos of the monocled-man had passed, he loosened his hold.

“Don’t,” she said, sounding as cold as ice. “Don’t you say a thing.”

“A thing about what?” he replied, to which she silently nodded; appeased. “How many railroads your date must own? You know what! I suppose I should speak to him about getting those damn faulty trains fixed.”

Alice grunted in frustration and flicked her wrists outwards, trying to push him back. He didn’t let her.

“Now, now, we wouldn’t want to draw any attention, would we?” He allowed her a brief moment to calm down, before he softened his grip once more. “In the mood for a walk to the upper decking? Yes? Perfect. Aren’t you just perfect.”

Without a word, Alice guided his hands off her body, then made her way to the master-staircase, staying alert for the man pursuing her. Mason followed her, presenting his serene smile as they passed government officials and business tycoons alike.

Beneath them, the boat had begun to rumble, A passing guest expressed her relief that they were "finally moving out onto the water".

“So, just how did you find your lovely self on this cruise?” he asked, shadowing her as she ascended the marble stairs.