three

he gives his unruly hair one more glance-over in the mirror, squinting at the carefully-styled strands, bleached and sprayed into a fucked up mohawk. well, he tried.

jack adjusts the sleeves of his black hoodie and shoves his hands into the pockets of his skinny jeans. the clock ticks closer and closer to six, which is when zack and rian are picking him up. oh man. okay. he's sort of nervous, actually.

at 6:05, the doorbell rings and he runs for it, flinging open the door. zack is grinning at him. "sup," he says.

"hey," answers jack, biting his lip. "we going?"

"we going," confirms zack. "ready to get drunk and embarrass yourself?"

of course that's what's going to happen. no surprise. jack grins and shrugs. "if that's what you think will happen."

"more like that's what i know will happen," zack scoffs, pulling jack outside. "rian's in the car already. come on. don't keep him waiting." and he winks.

for fuck's sake.

he's forced into the backseat- despite calling shotgun, honestly, what the fuck- and almost instantly, the sound of some pop punk song starts blasting from the speakers. jack is almost certain it's blink-182.

"seriously?" he yells over the sound of mark hoppus's voice. "'enema of the state' isn't exactly party music!"

zack laughs hysterically and turns it up even louder.

they pull up to the house, and it's big, as far as houses go. it also belongs to someone jack is pretty sure is called 'ashley'. no, wait, that's not it. she has a very specific nickname.

oh, right. halsey.

the place is blasting music, so loud that it leaks from the windows and out onto the relatively suburban street, disturbing its peaceful existence, with the white soccer moms and 2.5 kids. jack appreciates the quiet rebellion, a riot against suburban america.

cool.

inside, the 'quiet' atmosphere is shattered. the music is twenty times louder, and conversations fill in the gaps when the music lulls. almost instantly, jack finds someone shoving a cup filled with god-knows-what into his hand. it smells suspiciously like beer, and he takes a sip. yep. beer. fuckin' ace.

"see you guys later?" he offers to rian, the quiet boy looking quite terrified at this sudden change. he waves nervously at jack, watching him slip into the crowd.

jack mingles with the crowd easily, accepting and downing drinks, laughing at whatever joke he manages to catch, grinding against the nearest person when the appropriate song comes on. he's the fuckin' life of the party.

it's a bit later- a couple hours later- that jack finds himself almost completely hammered, stumbling upstairs for a bit of peace. of course, the first bedroom he finds is- uh- occupied, if the girl's shriek is any indication- and he quickly stumbles away. into the bathroom, then.

there's a girl in there, but she's sitting the counter, a cup beside her. she has cool hair- it's two different colors, split evenly down the middle. "hey," she murmurs. she doesn't sound drunk.

"hi," jack gets out. "why are you here?"

she shrugs, smiles. "i don't like drinking, but my friends dragged me here. and my girlfriend's the one hosting it, so..." she giggles softly. "i'm melanie."

"jack," he tells her, tripping over his own tongue. she nods knowingly.

"then there's someone looking for you. downstairs. sort of attractive, for a guy. uh... brown hair, black jacket. skinny jeans. can't miss him."

jack blinks at her and gives her a clumsy salute before stumbling out of the bathroom and back downstairs.

now, to find this guy that melanie was talking about. it's probably zack, nothing to worry about. just trying to find his best friend.

wait, was zack wearing a jacket?

//hi friends bet u thought the girl was hayley nope it's melanie martinez loml and she's dating halsey.. anyway yeah comments & votes would be gr8! love u guys <33//