twenty seven

the phone call comes when alex is working on his homework, and it goes something like this.

alex: zack? we haven't talked in forever.

zack: yeah, um, i wonder why. we have a problem.

alex: [laughs] i miss you too, buddy.

zack: alex. this is fucking serious.

alex: what? can't we catch up?

zack: later. i promise you won't want to after you hear this.

alex: fine. what is it?

zack: it's about jack. he- [deep breath] he's been drunk for the past three days, lying in bed the whole time, not coming to school. he's... sitting here crying right now.

alex: fuck-

zack: look, i'm not telling you to get back together. there's probably a good reason why you're on a break. but- jack is... he's fragile. he loves you. scratch that, he's in love with you. and from what he tells me, you sorta blew him off, and he... [sigh] he's bad at handling rejection.

alex: i didn't- i didn't know-

zack: i know. i'm not blaming you. i'm just saying- i thought you might want to know.

alex: is he okay?

zack: [dry chuckle] that's a matter of opinion. physically, he's rather fine, i think. his liver's probably gonna be all fucked up before he hits 21, but that's not important right now. mentally? yeah, um... [slight laugh] nope.

alex: he hates me now. doesn't he?

zack: on the contrary. i told you. he's fucking in love with you.

alex:

zack: look, i gotta go. just talk to him when you have the time. okay?

alex: --yeah.

zack: right. oh, and alex?

alex: yeah?

zack: if you fuck things up with him, i will drive to philadelphia and fucking murder you.

alex: oh-

zack: bye, alex.

end of call