twenty six

maybe alex is right. they need a break. 

when have you ever heard of a long-distance relationship working out?

jack's friends notice immediately that something's wrong. zack is the only one who knows why his best friend is moping around, slumping like the weight of the world rests on his bony-ass shoulders. seriously. why the fuck are they so bony?

anyway- zack isn't sure if he's allowed to tell anyone that jack and alex are on a break. he approaches jack later, questioning, but jack brushes him off. the boy refuses to talk to anyone for the next two days. which may seem like overreacting, but- it's jack. the kid was born a drama queen.

but then there's two or three days in a row when jack doesn't show up- first to certain classes, then school altogether. zack goes to check up on him (cause he's a good friend, obviously).

"jack?" he asks, walking into the boy's room. it's a fucking mess. it's always a mess, but today it's about 10 times worse.

jack is curled up under a blanket on his bed, and he looks up at zack with tired eyes. "i'm overreacting," he says immediately, "i know that. you don't have to point it out." his hair is a fucking mess too. it matches.

but despite jack's carelessness, zack feels worry strike through him. "jack," he repeats again. "why haven't you gone to school?"

"cause i'm emo as shit," jack replies. 

zack waits, prompting him with a worried glare. 

"and i'm overreacting," jack says again.

"you're not overreacting," zack tells him. "but, um, have you moved in the past couple days? at all?"

jack licks his lips and ponders. "to piss, yeah."

"...other than that? have you eaten?"

there's no answer, and zack gets a sinking feeling in his gut. jack isn't himself, not even remotely close. it just doesn't make sense. why is he getting so bummed about him and alex? they're going to get back together eventually, aren't they? -the perfect couple. of course they are.

and then zack notices the empty bottles.

"jack?" his voice is quiet now, and jack even looks up. he follows zack's gaze, and his face pales. 

"oh, um, fuck," jack stammers lamely. "that? that's just- it's old. i haven't cleaned my room in a while." he laughs nervously, but then hiccups, and his face crumples. "zack, fuck. zack." he sits up and swallows, lower lip pushed out in a quivering pout. "i haven't b-been sober for the past three days."

and then he starts to cry.

a/n: THEYRE TOURING WITH BLINK 182 SOMEONE FUCKNIG BUY ME TICKETS