Letting Loose

“Tess, wake up. We’re going to the beach,” said April’s sing-song voice from the door frame.

                “Aren’t you supposed to be at school?” I replied groggily.

                “I’m skipping, sue me.”I glanced at the alarm clock and it was eight in the morning. Didn’t this girl know how to skip school? I reluctantly gave in and sat up in bed. April passed by the bedroom and into the bathroom. I yawned and stretched and threw my suitcase on the bed and rifled through it to find a bikini. Finally it hit me. I unloaded my problems on a beautiful man who didn’t want to hear about it.

                “Oh shit,” I hissed as I abandoned my task and bolted down the stairs and out the front door hoping I’d catch Ian before he left for work. Luckily, he was just putting his jacket in the back seat when he glanced up at me and smiled.

                “Hey Tess,” he chirped. Damnit. Why was he always so chipper and why wasn’t he freaked out by me?

                “Ian,” I started, “I’m so sorry about last night…I don’t normally cry in front of people nor do I talk about my relationships…or lack thereof.” His smile never left his eyes or face.

                “You don’t have to apologize. I’m sure it felt nice to get it off your chest.” The corners of my mouth twitched. “I meant everything I said.” I bit down on my bottom lip. “Are you doing anything tonight?”

                “My friend Leila took over her parent’s bar near the beach…I was planning on stopping by for a drink…would you want to come?”

                “Sure, I know Leila. I’ll stop there after work, say six o’clock?” I nodded.

                “See you then.” I turned to walk away.

                “Hey Tess.” I turned back around. “The big shirts work for you.” I was a little confused until I realized what I was wearing. I gasped and threw my hands over my mouth. I was wearing a big shirt and nothing underneath. Dear God, please just take me out of my misery and shoot me now…He smiled and waved then got into the car. Blushing profusely, I hurried into the house before anyone else would see me.

                “Good lord, Tess! Have some class!” April scolded as I closed the door behind me. Ignoring her, I trotted up the stairs and practically skipped into my room. I slipped out of my shirt and into the bikini. I slipped on a pair of denim shorts and a blue shirt. I opened the door and walked down the stairs and into the kitchen. “Oh good, you’re ready,” said April downing a glass of water.

///\\\

                “So how’s the modeling life?” We just set our towels down and lay on our stomachs. The heat was inviting and a welcome relief.

                “Same old, same old,” I replied.

                “I’d like it in detail, please.” I smiled and let my forehead hit the towel.

                “Long days, even longer nights…you’ve got your impossible photographers and even more annoying agents…men who don’t get the fact that you’re still a human being, not just a model…douchey celebrities and the only bearable part is the nights they put you in a hotel.”

                “What about the after parties?”

                “I don’t touch those with a ten foot pole.”