Disorientation

“Tessa was a nanny for Senator and Mrs. Keiser when she first moved to New York. Tessa used to come home and brag that she and the Senator were having an affair. I felt so sorry for Mrs. Keiser and the kids because my friend was tearing a family apart. The day of the fire, Tessa called and asked me to pick her up.” A picture popped up on the screen of the TV. The picture was of me and Senator Keiser in front of the scorched building. I was crying, he had his hand cupping my shoulder, the other in open air. My one hand was wiping the tears from my eyes and the other was low and out in the air as well. “When I pulled up to the house, I snapped this picture because now they were bringing their affair into the public. I’m finally coming out with this information because they both threatened my life when I confronted them about their affair. I finally had the courage to come out with this because our fair state deserves do much better in a Senator.” The press went wild.

                I stared at the TV in horror. My family and Ian were all sitting around me just waiting for me to say something. That picture was photo shopped. Mrs. Keiser was also in that picture…the Senator’s free hand was cupping her shoulder and my free hand was holding her hand. I was completely mystified as to why Hayley would ever come up with something this ridiculous…what did I do that was so horrible that she just ruined my entire career just by giving a five minute press conference and ruin an entire family?

                I couldn’t bring myself to say anything. I was mortified. I needed to do something…I needed to make this right even though I knew it would be next to impossible.

                “…Tess?” Mom’s voice rang out. It finally hit me that they were still there waiting for an explanation. I stood up and raced to the counter, grabbed April’s keys and dashed out of the front door. I did what I did best in any terrible situation: I drove away.

                I was heading to our beach house in Topsail Island, about a half hour away. I took over the payments about three years ago so mom considers it to be “my” house, but nonetheless, it was a place I could figure out my next move. As I drove, I called up Progress Energy and turned on the power and the water plant to turn on the water. My phone was ringing off the hook, most of the calls were from mom, but I couldn’t talk to her just yet. I then called Ali just to see what was going on in New York after the press conference.

                “She never came to pick up her stuff which I found was odd since she was complaining about not being able to get into the apartment. I don’t think Brian had anything to do with it…I think he was just a pawn in one of her schemes.”

                “I don’t understand what I did…and now my career is completely over…”

                “I wouldn’t say that. Roger agreed to an interview, so at least that’s one professional on your side and everyone in the business knows how Hayley is.” Roger is a photographer I worked with exclusively and was a close friend. I felt a little better about the fact.

                “Ian watched the whole press conference too. I must be a prize.”

                “You are! Hey, none of this is true…Ian seems like a great guy and he’ll wait for your explanation. Let me see what else I can dig up here. Call me if there’s any developments.”

                “Will do. Thanks, Ali.” I hung up the phone and within minutes, pulled into the driveway. It was a two story, pale blue house. I got out of the car and headed up the stone walk way. I unlocked the door and stepped on the cool tile. The house hasn’t changed much…the furniture was uncovered and the curtains were left open. The walls were still the cheery canary yellow. I walked deeper into the house and opened the sliding glass door to the deck. I sank into the wicker chair and rested my head against the chair. My phone rang once again, this time I answered.