Chapter 15 - Mortal Heart

Love alters not with his brief hours and weeks, But bears it out even to the edge of doom. - William Shakespeare

“Move your huge fucking head!” Thanatos said to Phaeton as the two stood in the hallway in front of the door to the hospital wing.

“Make me,” Phaeton said. The Death God grabbed on to either side of Phaeton’s shoulders, and forced him away from the window. The hero leaned nonchalantly against the wall beside the door, as Thanatos stared in at the twins embracing on the hospital bed. “What’s wrong with you?” he asked.

“Enyo, he’s supposed to love me,” Thanatos said, his voice ended in a slight whine.

One of the hero’s eyebrows jerked up, and his crooked grin formed. “You don’t think someone could love two people at once?”

The villain’s head swivelled to stare at the golden boy’s mostly naked body. Thanatos’ waxy complexion became rosy. “Well… uh… of course a man of my skills could handle an extra one or two people in bed.” The Death God stumbled over his words as he tried to appear casual in response to Phaeton’s proposal, but he shrugged so many times that the hero thought the villain was developing a nervous twitch.

Phaeton couldn’t contain his laughter. He burst out laughing right in Thanatos’ face. “That’s not what I’m talking about. Don’t get love and sex confused or else you’ll definitely end up alone in the rain.” Phaeton shivered in the dank hallway. “Besides, I think it’s kinda sexy,” he added.

“No, it’s wrong. They will get in so much shit if people find out about them,” the villain said, clearly embarrassed but not willing to mention the misunderstanding.

Phaeton shrugged and yawned. He wasn’t too concerned. Eris would come back to him sooner or later. He was sure of it. One thing he was a little concerned about was being in a strange place with a villain he knew nothing about. He was probably surrounded by villains. At any moment they could jump out and kill him. But he had to remind himself he wasn’t a hero anymore.

The Death God tore his gaze away from the window and looked over at Phaeton. “Who in the Underworld are you?” he asked.

“I’m Phaeton, son of H-h-h-elios,” he chattered. “And r-r-recently revoked from the Olympian clan.”

Thanatos raised his eyebrows. “I’m Thanatos, adopted son of Hades and direct descendant of Nyx.”

Phaeton inclined his head out of respect, even though he knew villains weren’t very respectful beings. He knew Hades was a supremely powerful God and used to be on the Titans’ side until that disaster with Zeus’ daughter Persephone. He didn’t exactly know where Thanatos’ loyalties lay, but he wasn’t prepared to get on the villain’s bad side. Hugging his arms to his body, Phaeton shuddered in his boxers. “Is it always so cold here?”

“You’re supposed to wear clothes…,” Thanatos said, admiring the Sun God’s beautiful body. The golden skin was out of place in the dark headquarters full of pale, waxy villains.

“I didn’t have time to collect any, and I’m not sure it would be a good idea to wear a hero’s garb in this place anyhow,” Phaeton said.

Thanatos nodded. “We should get you registered. Follow me.” Thanatos took off down the adjacent hall towards the registry and recruitment office, while Phaeton trailed on his heels. “What made you want to join the villain’s side?” Thanatos asked.

“The heroes are all a bunch of corrupt bastards,” Phaeton shrugged. “At least you guys don’t lie about it.”

“Makes sense,” Thanatos said. “Is there more to that answer?”