Chapter 16 - Love Bites

“For to be wise and love exceeds man's might.” ― William Shakespeare, Troilus and Cressida

Enyo and Eris left the hospital that very same day. Eris was quite looking forward to sleeping in his bed. Holding hands, they walked down the hallway to their dorm. They were silent. Neither was sure how to proceed with their relationship now that they had confessed their love for one another. The nymphs behind the glass in the Sea God descendants’ and water creatures’ dormitories made lewd comments and gestures at the twins. Eris ignored them but he saw a slight blush creeping across his brother’s cheeks.

When they made it to their room, Enyo started to let go of Eris’s hand. And suddenly, Eris found that unbearable. He held Enyo tighter and pulled him towards his side of the room. Collapsing on the bed, Enyo sleepily complied. “So, what happens now?” Eris asked. “What are we going to do?”

Enyo turned the light off and snuggled closer to his brother. “We can’t tell anyone we want to be together,” he whispered. Eris’s body stiffened and his heart thudded against Enyo’s chest. Enyo brought his hand up and raked his fingers through Eris’s hair. “Because we don’t want Mom and Dad to find out.”

“When did you know that you loved me?” Enyo asked.

“I can’t remember a time when I didn’t,” Eris admitted.

The twins smiled at each other and Eris hugged Enyo close. An image of the snake in the cave came to Eris’s mind and what it had promised him. It said it worked for the Gorgons. If they joined them, he could be with his brother forever and nobody would care. It sounded like a dubious claim, but he’d be willing to risk it if it got really bad with their parents. And then there was the issue of the hero. Phaeton probably only joined the villains because he wanted to be with Eris. It’s not that he didn’t like Phaeton. He just didn’t know if the hero was worthy of his love.

Frustrated, Eris sighed and held Enyo tighter. He decided that he’d let the situation unfold. Perhaps Phaeton would come to his senses and realize he wasn’t in love with Eris in the first place. His affections were only based on a magnificent one night stand. Eris fell asleep to memories of Phaeton and how his every touch satisfied a deep urge inside him.

The brothers awoke to the intercom declaring there was an emergency assembly for their first period. They weren’t in any hurry to get there, so they got ready for class at a leisurely pace. When they finally made it to the auditorium, most of the villains were already there. All of the professors were sitting on the podium and looking rather bored. The twins were surprised to see the principal also in attendance. It was widely known that Principal Cronus liked his tropical vacations.

The twins learned from history class that Cronus was the first of the Titan Gods. He ruled the cosmos before the Olympians started the war. Because he is the God of Time and the Ages, he often loses track of time, and usually didn’t concern himself with the petty dealings of younger villains. He founded the school to train more Gods, Goddesses, and creatures to rival his offspring, the Olympian heroes. His ultimate dream is to dethrone his son, Zeus, and take back the cosmos.

He was still sore that his wife tricked him into vomiting up his swallowed children. When a man swallows his kids, he has a good reason for doing so. He predicted they would start a war if he let them live, but his nagging bitch of a wife didn’t care. Cronus was also upset that none of his children sent him a birthday card, and the only thing Zeus paid him back with was a tiny spot of land in the Underworld. The economy in the Underworld was going to shit.

“Why do you reckon old Cronus is here?” Eris asked.

Enyo shrugged. “No idea. Did you hear the rumours that Zeus cut off his prick during the war?”