Chapter 6 ~ Pain

*Mari's POV*

"What...? This is different..." I thought out loud. Haku looked over at me then, the next thing I knew I was falling out of the tree losing my consciousness, and saw Sakura running towards me since she saw me. I woke up and removed a senbon from my neck carefully, then I slowly got up. Haku came into the room. "Oh your awake, unlike Zabuza-sama" He said looking over to the bed. I looked over and saw Zabuza asleep on the bed. "Haku, did you have to 'kill' me?" He chuckled a little. "I did, sorry." I smiled and walked over to him, I hugged him. "I wish I could keep you and Zabuza alive... Although it would probably change to much..." I started crying into his shoulder, he started to hug me back. "What do you mean?" He asked. "I can't tell you... Although I can tell you this, you die protecting Zabuza..." He patted my back soothing me. "Wow kid... flirting with Haku?" We jumped away from each other and looked over at Zabuza, I blushed madly. "N-No! It wasn't like that!" I run out, but run into someone and land on the floor. Then a second later, there are swords at my neck. "Mari he wa-" Haku stops talking when he sees swords at my neck. "Gato, she is with us, don't kill her." Haku speaks with venom dripping from within his words. They sheathed their blades and I relaxed, Haku helped me up. "Who is she?" Gato asked. I just zoned out, and snapped back to reality when Gato was leaving, we were in Zabuza's room now. "I have to get back to my team, I wish you both luck." I left, surprised they let me leave without stopping me. I made it back to Tazuna's house, but was running low on chakra since I put a lot into my feet while running here. I knocked on the door, and Naruto answered, right as he was about to say something I fell into him. Out of breath and exhausted I just rested in his arms. Then Sakura and Sasuke heard Naruto asking for help and they ran over. "Mari-chan!" Sakura yelled in happiness, as she put my arm around her neck and helped me up off Naruto. "We were worried what happened when Zabuza kidnapped you." I felt a little better now since I wasn't running. "Actually... I know Zabuza, and that tracker ninja wasn't really a tracker ninja, he was with Zabuza and the senbon he threw at Zabuza hit a pressure point that basically made him appear 'dead'." They were all shocked. "T-Then how'd you make it back here?" Sakura asked. "Well... I ran... Where is Kakashi, I need to speak with him." They nod and help me up to where he is resting.

I explain everything to Kakashi, then he says we should all train. Of course I agree, my chakra is basically replenished. We all head into the forest and Kakashi starts explaining the training, but I already know what we're doing so I just start focusing chakra into my feet. I walk up to the tree and walk up slowly with Kakashi and stand upside down with him. I smirk and he looks surprised. I jump down and land on my feet. I sit on a stump and zone out thinking about Zabuza and Haku. "Mari-chan? What's wrong?" I look up to see Sakura looking at me with concern, I just now realize I am crying. I wipe the tears. "O-Oh... Nothing, just thinking. Did you finish already Sakura?" "Yeah I did, it was actually pretty simple." She smiles at me, I smile back and stand up and stretch. I look over at Naruto and Sasuke, but when my eyes land on Sasuke, a flash of his body filled with senbon clouds my vision. My eyes go wide, and I look down. "I-I'm going for a walk..." I stutter and walk away from them. I sit against a tree and hug my knees to my face and cry.

*3rd person POV*

Naruto and Sasuke continue to train after Mari left. "I wonder if Mari is ok...?" Sakura asks Kakashi. "She seems to know a lot of things that we don't..." Kakashi says. Mari comes back to them and her eyes are a little red. Everyone stops training and looks at her. "Mari, were you crying?" Kakashi speaks first. Mari's smile disappears and her hair makes a shadow over her eyes. "Y-Yeah, but it's fine. Oh, by the way Kakashi. I need to guard Tazuna tomorrow no matter what. Ok, I'm going back to the house to rest." Mari then heads back to Tazuna's and everyone continues training.

*Mari's POV*

After a little bit of rest in Sakura's and my room, I head down for dinner. During dinner, Sakura had to ask about the picture. Then Inari slams his hand down on the table and leaves. "Inari!" Tsunami yells after Inari, but he doesn't stop, I sigh and stand up. "I'll go talk to him, I know what he is feeling... Somewhat..." I say and walk out. I find Inari and sit next to him. "What do you want?" He asks in an irritated  tone. "Listen... I know you think we don't know pain but we do, and you haven't gone through nearly as much... I'll start with Naruto, he doesn't even know or remember his parents, he's been shunned his whole life and had no friends. Sasuke, he had his whole clan murdered before his very eyes... By his older brother, he is the last of his clan." I can see Inari is on the verge of tears. "W-What about you? Do you know what it's like?" He asks me. "Yes... I don't remember ever having parents. I've been from village to village my whole life trying to survive, since I am the last of my clan, and because of my ears and tail, I've been beaten tortured, things like that. Although, I finally found people who accept me for who I am." I finish and a tear rolls down my cheek.