Rice

Disclaimer: I don't own the characters.

Rice

In the style of Thalia and Jason Grace

Thalia studied the measuring cups as if they'd been delivered to her in a package from Japan.

"Mom, how does rice work?" Thalia called out after accepting that she did not understand.

Her mother slowly walked out of her bedroom and into the room, like a zombie, a hand on her forehead. She watched the open pack of rice, the measuring cups, the unboiling pot of water on the stove and her daughter's frustrated and impatient eyes.

"Oh, sweetheart, I'll do it." She said attempting to take the measuring cup away from Thalia. Thalia ripped her hand back.

"How does rice work?" She repeated strictly, dryly, unforgivingly.

Lauren sighed. "Two cups of rice and four cups of water," she said. "I have a headache. I'll go lie down again."

Thalia ignored that and started measuring out the rice instead.

Someone grabbed onto her legs. She looked at her right and saw Jason smiling at her with small teeth.

"Lia I'm hungry." He said.

"Yeah I know Argos, I'm making supper," Thalia smiled. "How's rice and chicken fingers and baby carrots?"

"No rice. Bad carrots. Chicken fingers," Jason said.

"Hmm- no," Thalia said. "Rice and chicken fingers and carrots."

Jason shook his head like that was a really bad idea. "Chicken fingers."

"You can't live off chicken fingers Jason," she said.

Jason frowned, unable to understand why not.

Thalia smiled and ruffled his hair.

"I promise that rice works," she said. "We'll be okay, Argos."