Questions

In the style of Sally Jackson and Poseidon

"Okay," Sally said cracking a sunflower seed between her teeth. "My turn to ask a question."

Since she'd been overflowing with questions after finding out Poseidon was a god, he'd teased her by saying that there should be an equal proportion of questions asked by him as of questions asked by her. Now, it was their game, asking each other questions. Hers tended to be actual things on her mind. He'd spring up with the most random 'would you rather' dares and make her laugh.

"Alright," he said leaning back on his elbows, looking at the sunset.

"What is your favourite beach in the world?" Sally asked.

"Oh... owe... do you know what kind of undersea politics you're stirring up?" He said. Sally didn't change her question, she just looked at him expectantly. "Alright. Well, right now I'm a pretty big fan of Montauk."

"Stop it," she said blushing.

"Fine, fine. For real, I think it'd have to be in Greece. Most of them. They're so blue, still so useful to the people there. It's the first beach I ever saw."

"Okay, I buy it." Sally said.

"My turn then," Poseidon said helping himself to a handful of sunflower seeds. "Why do you read and write so much?"

"Me?" Sally asked.

"Well, there are only two of us playing..."

"Oh ha, ha." Sally said. She leaned back too, and took a deep breath. "I think... I think that it's because in books... in books the real world isn't real and that's something I'd really appreciate. I mean, to be honest, the real world sucks. But in books nobody works their butt off their whole life, gets a scholarship, gives it up for their sick but negligent uncle, and are left alone and empty-handed after he dies. And if they do, they get a happily ever after because of some twist of fate."

"You don't think you'll get a happily ever after?" Poseidon asked.

"I'm not exactly on the road to success, now am I?" Sally said.

"Well I don't know," Poseidon said. "I think there's more than one road. Maybe you're on the detour."

"I think I'm in the ditch."

"Sally Jackson," Poseidon said strictly. "If you like story worlds so much, then you'll notice that the villains are never the ones who get happily-ever-afters. That's because in every single world there is, people get what they deserve one way or another at some point of their lives. So your day is coming any time now."

Sally looked at the ocean. She was having a pretty awesome time at Montauk. Sure, she'd just blown some cash she hadn't had to blow on her fair share of the little cottage's rent which was divided among her friends, and she wasn't working or studying. But she was unwinding after the year from hell and that was just as important, wasn't it? And then she'd met Poseidon and she'd stopped torturing herself over what kind of schizophrenic or psychopath she might be and... well, it was Poseidon after all.

"What if mine is right now?" She said.

"Well I'd feel sorry for you that the best you get is me."

"Oh, come off it." She said.

"I'm not kidding, Sally. I'm not. I think that right now, you're on a rollercoaster that only goes up."