Synonyms

In the style of Frederic and Annabeth Chase

Annabeth's eyebrows were furrowed as she fought through her fear to explain to Frederic what had happened in her dream.

"Oh, don't be scared sweetheart." He said putting his arms around her and bringing her close. "There's no evil scientist who would ever do that to you. That dream is just your imagination."

Annabeth was burrowed against his chest and snuggle in his arms, the only place where she'd believe such a thing.

"Daddy, what's another word for imaginary?"

"Chimerical." Dr Chase answered.

"Like the chimera monster?" She asked.

"Exactly like that, yes. You'd call that the root of the word."

"But that's wrong." Annabeth said.

"How so?"

"Chimeras are real," Annabeth said simply. "Not imaginary."

Frederic swallowed.

First off he was terrified. What? He knew that the... the monsters were out there, and he knew that one day they'd come looking for her. He may not have gotten a how-to parenting book for a little girl, but he knew as much about half-bloods as he could according to Athena, though the goddess was vague and selective in the information she shared more often than not. But at the age of five? No. That was too young. He didn't like it. He didn't want it, more precisely.

He calmed himself down by dismissing it for now. He was in front of her now. He had to react or she'd get suspicious.

His second problem was this. Could he really tell Annabeth that they weren't real? Give her fake ideas? Teach her not to believe herself and what she saw and felt and thought? Stop her from seeing her world? It was her heritage and a reality she'd face whether he wanted her to or not.

"Yes, but they're not real to everyone. And they're a secret, okay sweetheart? You can't tell anyone but me when you see one, but you always have to tell me, understand?"

"Okay."

"It's really important that you remember that." Frederic said tilting up her chin so her grey eyes met his.

"Okay." Annabeth nodded with a smile. "What's another word for okay?"

"Alright," Frederic said.

"What's another word for nervous?"

She was way too perspicacious.

"Agitated," he said.

"And another?"

"Anxious."

"More?"

"Fearful."

"What's a word for not-fearful?"

"Brave."

"Another?"

"Courageous."

His nerves calming down as the game went forth.