*Revenge

In the style of Esperanza Valdez

Following a fighter-robot victory, Esperanza and her team had gotten an all-expenses-paid trip to New York City to visit the campus there and sight-see like all the other hyperactive tourists. The plane had been late getting up in the air and Anza was exhausted, but she figured that she had to go see Miguel before going home and sleeping for a million hours.

She pulled up in his driveway and parked the beaten red pickup trick she was always either driving or fixing. She swung her legs out and stretched before going up to the door. She was used to letting herself into her boyfriend's house, so she didn't think twice about walking in. If he wasn't working a shift at the restaurant or wasn't otherwise occupied away from home, the door was unlocked.

It turned out that he was occupied.

On the couch.

With a girl.

A girl that wasn't Esperanza.

With a suction-cup sound he pulled away from his make-out buddy and looked up frowning, probably expecting a roommate, but saw her and his eyes sprawled.

"Anza..." He said smiling like he had a gum infection.

"I got back early," she said. "What have you been up to?" She said giving him her deluxe this-smile-means-run tight grin.

"Mig, who's that?" The girl asked. She was a perfectly okay brunette with a brain that was in the process of being tugged out of its shape, and confused grey eyes.

"Yeah Mig, who's that?" Esperanza said. "Are you going to introduce me to your friend? No? Okay."

Esperanza held out her hand.

"My name's Anza, I've been dating this douche since September."

The girl spun around on the couch looking at him.

"What?" She asked.

"Katherine, I can explain-"

"Yeah, that doesn't mean it's going to sound good," Katherine said. She got to her feet.

"Kate- this isn't what it looks like!"

"Don't 'Kate' me. Don't talk to me or call, actually." She said with fuming, fiery eyes.

Miguel turned to look at her with desperate eyes like he'd just realised that he'd just pissed off the two people he had as girlfriend options all in one day.

"I'll have what she's having," Esperanza said.

Katherine looked up to her.

"I don't drive." She said.

"I'll give you a ride."

*

Katherine smashed her head on the dashboard when she got into shotgun and groaned.

"Wow, I thought he'd changed since high school."

"If he was a backstabbing unreliable two-faced motherfucker in high school then no, he apparently hasn't." Esperanza said, turning the ignition.