Chapter 4

Sonia POV
'Oh oh.. might as well get it over with', I thought. "Listen Sonic, I'm going to give it to you straight, I lost it." "What?", he surprisingly asks, "You were doing so well, what could've happened that caused that?" "Well.."

~Flashback~
Sonia POV
I was doing my regular routine in the morning, when suddenly my boss approaches me and says, "Hey Sonia, I just want to thank you for helping me out through all of these years, it really means a lot to me. You know how miserable my life can get, ever since... Well you know what I'm talking about. I'm just glad I have you to talk to, you're like a sister to me." I blush, and frantically respond, "Thanks sir.." Then he hugs me, giving me a warm embrace. I'm not surprised by it, I know how complicated his life can get, ever since she barged into his life. As he lets go, he says, "I consider family, Sonia." His words warm my heart, I smile as he leaves and heads to work. I turn around and continue my chores, when I suddenly feel attacked. I look up to see that my attack is Amy, or as she likes to call herself, Mrs. Doom. 'This is going to end badly', I thought.

~Present~
Sonic POV
'I can't believe that woman! What gives her the right to attack my sister that way?' I grunt, then ask, "What did your boss do? Did he confronted his wife?" "Of course not! The last thing he wants is to have chaos and drama in his life! And I understand that.. She is kinda of a bitch.", Sonia retorts. "Wait, then why is he was even with her? He clearly doesn't love her.", I question my sister. "Because of their son.", Sonia simply answers. "Oh, that's kinda sad. Why be with someone if you don't love them? To stay "together" as a family? How can that work out, if there isn't love to unite them? I bet their son is pretty miserable, seeing who his parents act towards each other...", I whimper. Sonia notices and tries to console me by saying, "Hey don't worry, he manages well, he has his father's attitude after all." 'Father...' That words rattles on my head, bringing back painful memories, and I see I'm not the only one who feels that way to. I take a glance at my eldest sibling, her eyes are blank and her skin is pale. I can only imagine what is going on through her head right now.

~Flashback~
Sonia POV (5 years after her mother's death) (10 years ago)
I remember everything clearly. Today is Sonic's birthday. Not only that, it is my mother's third year of not being by my side. I sigh as I get up of bed. I head to the kitchen when I feel a sudden force holding on to my legs. I look down and notice my little brother, happy as he can be. He's too young to understand what this day also means. I don't blame him for it though, it was an accident, a tragic, devastating accident. I remember the horrible aftermath that caused, my mother's death, my father's depression, Manic's rebellious ways, and Sonic's heart problem. He was supposed to be a healthy baby, we were all supposed to be together, but fate had other plans. Due to the accident, my baby brother had a heart failure, his heart didn't pump enough blood to his body. His heart was also very sensitive and weak which scares me the most. I reach out to hug him only to notice he isn't there anymore. "I guess I got lost in my own thoughts.", I say to no one in particular. I look around trying to find him when I suddenly come across a door. A door that hasn't been opened since exactly three years ago. Until now.
I take a peek inside to see what is going on in there. I see my father, holding a beer to his chest, while simultaneously holding on to a small bundle. I fear as I take a guess on what it is. My father is not mentally stable to be with a child. I hear murmurs and inconsistent blabbering. As I go fully into the room, I hear my father say, "It's all my fault. I should've been out there for you, for her! But I didn't. I failed as a husband and a father. I couldn't even be there in her last moments." I hear my father whimper in pain then the bundle says, "Don't cry daddy, I love you very much." I being to fear as my father stops sobbing, his expressions are blank, not a single trace of emotion left in his body. He glares down at Sonic, fear has also reached to him. He asks, "Daddy what's wrong?" My father snaps. He throws Sonic to the ground and begins to exclaim, "Don't call me that! I'm not good enough to have that title! Please just stay away from me! You are a constant reminder of someone I will never have with my ever again! Why are you just like her?! Stop hurting me!!", he growled as he cornered Sonic. I break out of my trance as I look at my brother. He is so scared and confused. He doesn't understand the reason he is being treated this way. I look back at my father, who is shooting daggers at Sonic with his eyes, he looks like he is about to explode. I try to figure out a way to calm him down. I don't know what to do! My brother starts whimper, and my dad loses it, "That's it!". He raises his hand up and smacks my brother straight across the face. I stand there in shock. "What has this family turned into? Where is the father I once knew and loved?", I unexpectedly holler. My father looks at my direction then looks at Sonic, who became and emotional wreck. As my father tried to get closer to Sonic, he screams and runs towards me, but not with the same enthusiasm he had before. I kneel down and and hold him in a protective embrace. My father breaks down again. He grabs beer bottle and smashes it against his hand, the glass is everywhere. He starts laughing like a maniac. I'm scared. I have never seen this side before. He starts to come closer to us. I panic and tried to run out of the room but my father is stronger. He snatches Sonic away from me, carefully holds him so the glass in his hand won't cut him. "I love you.", he whispers in his ear. He stays with Sonic for a while, embracing him at the process. When Sonic soundly falls asleep in his arms, he hands him to me and says, "Promise me you will protect him.", he sternly requests. "Of course I would, but what about you?" "I have to go on a trip far away, to redeem myself, become a better person for all of you. I will miss you, and remember that I love you all of you guys.", he kisses my forehead and leaves. Leaving me heartbroken and shattered to bits. I start to cry as a hear a door slowly crack open. Manic is standing there, broken. He runs up to me a hugs me. We only have each other now.

~Present~
Sonia POV
I snap out of my trance and see the broken look in his eyes. "He never even said goodbye to me.", Sonic sobs as I hold him and say. "At least we have each other, and that's what counts."