I Meet An Ancient Eye Therapist (pt. 1)

I staggered back from the office suffocating in the tears I wouldn't spill. I had just gotten off the phone with my mother and she said no, no way,would it be possible to postpone our trip three hours. I had a key, she decided, and I could let myself in. I was thirteen after all. I should learn to take care of myself, learn not to get in trouble at school.
Thanks mom. Love you too.
School was over, and while my parents would be going to my grandmothers beach condo with a bunch of my extended family, I would be in a sticky classroom with kids that couldn't seem to understand the term 'rules'.
What surprised me most as I walked into the detention room was that it was not sticky in any sense of the word. In fact, everything shined as if it was freshly polished. The temperature was cool and strangely refreshing, as if a cold breeze passed by on a hot day. I was so stuck on this observation, I didn't notice that the only other person in the room was Tyler, or that Mr. Ryed wasn't here.
It was the substitute from earlier.
It was the first time I got a good look at her. She had high cheek bones and black hair so dark it glinted purple. Ivory skin adorned her perfect frame, and she had a strange fire in her dark eyes.
The door slammed behind me, jolting me to attention. There was no one behind me to have closed the door. I was about to scream at Tyler for messing with me, but when I turned he looked shocked and terrified.
"Why is it...why is it filling the room?!" he squeaked.
"What are you talking about."
"You don't see it?"
"See what"
"The fog stuff...how do you not feel it at least. It's like electric."
A chair squealed as the substitute stood.