[4] something bad.

4; something bad.
"Why are you doing this?"

✵✵✵

   "No one's talking about this. No one's saying anything." Nick sat back in the middle of his mom and Travis. He had just scrolled through the radio only hearing of a police shootings and a major league baseball player not being able to play this year. What he just went through was utterly scarring to his mind, and to everything that he had thought was real. 

Shooting Calvin was like the first domino falling. But, really, the first domino was Gloria eating people in the Church. The next was shooting Calvin; but that bullet didn't even affect him. Sure, it killed the real Calvin, since who he became afterwards in the tunnel was not Calvin. Whoever he became was something that Nick had seen in Gloria. Biting and eating people was becoming something that none of them in the truck would even believe to come true. It was like cannibalism, but those 'cannibals' aren't people or they are in their forms, but they seem dead.

Travis had peeled out of the tunnel after seeing what Calvin turned into; leaving the kid sprawled out on the concrete, zooming out onto the freeway back to safety, home. He had tried contacting his son, Chris, but like always when he calls, he is rejected. He doesn't blame him, but this was a matter of life and death. And, slowly the three were coming to realize that. 

"We need to get away from the city. We need to get away from people." Travis starts, his voice drawing his fiancee to turn to him. He continues, "Just grab Alicia, Liza, Chris, Octavia, and just go until we know what this thing is."

"The desert?" Madison asked, knowing that was the only place of solitude; away from people. 

"Yeah. It'll be okay there. We'll be safe."

Madison's phone went off, and immediately noticing her daughter's name, she held it up to her ear. "Alicia, where the hell are you?"

"Mom."

"Listen, we got Nick." Madison shaking her head rubbing off the shaky voice from the other end. "We're coming to get you. I need you to pack some things for us, load up some groceries, okay?"

"No, I can't."

"We're going out of town."

"What? No. I can't."

Madison's eyes narrowed as she took in Alicia's desperate voice. "Why? What's wrong?"

"He's sick. He's really sick."

"Who? Who's sick? 

"Matt." Alicia pressed her free hand onto her boyfriend's forehead, her worry for him increasing by the minute once she saw him sweating with a fever. "His fever's, like, 103."

Beside Madison, Nick looked at his mom; worried about his sister, whatever was happening got his mother upset. "What's wrong?"

"I tried to get him in the bath, but it hurts when I touch him."

"Don't-- don't touch him." Her gaze catching Travis' in a second. "I need you to call 9-1-1."

"I tried. It-- it's busy. His parents are in Vegas. They're not picking up."

"Okay, we're coming to get you, but just stay away from Matt until we get there, okay?" She gave Travis a nod, who agreed instantly, and was waiting for Alicia's response before static picked up concluding their call. "Alicia. Alicia!" She sat her phone down in worry.