[14] the rising sun.

13; the rising sun.

✵✵✵

     "20 patients left." Exner talks into the walkie talkie, speaking with one of the Lieutenants. She had been told of the evacuation since there has been a change in plans. It was the Cobalt plan. "12 critical, the rest stable, all infection-free. One Chinook could lift the entire ward and personnel plus two dozen more soldiers, over."

" Transport inbound, over."

"What's the ETA, over?"

"0215, over."

"Copy that. Over and out." She moves away from the window that shows her that the soldiers were gearing everything up to leave in the vehicles. Her body shifting to face the other nurses and doctors. There were several patients still there. "Everybody! Edwards Air Force Base has room. Let's lock it down. Crit cases are gonna be flying. We're going mobile."

A few coughs and bunch of chattering happened, many nurses hooking patients to beds that were moveable so that they're transport from the building to the vehicle of choice was easy.

Liza was helping out a few patients nearby, before she walks over to Exner, her eyes wide in shock. "What about my son?"

"I submitted the request." Exner answers plainly, her attention divided as she was packing up things as she spoke. "I'll follow up."

"And the rest of my family?"

"Who are we counting as family? We talking blood or bond?" Exner questions, her gaze flickering the girl that Liza came in with, Octavia, who she knew was not bound by blood in any way.

Liza shakes her head, "A son needs his father."

"True, but the father will want his girlfriend." Exner already knowing the whole story through Liza about the whole entire situation. She was a divorcee, only being brutal through her leave to only save her son. That was the plan. "The girlfriend will want her children. And the children will want their friends, girlfriend." She pauses letting it soak in for Liza. "What is family now? Be brutal."

"I was brutal and you promised me Christopher." Liza grounds out, the two woman were talking in low voice so others wouldn't be able to hear.

"Yes." Exner nods, before staring at Liza with a questioning look. "Just him?"

Liza didn't even think, it was automatic with her response. "And his father Travis." Her voice was sure, and that was enough for Exner to believe her. She was brutal, and it was funny to see how her and Octavia had bonded, to only have Liza have concern only for her son and ex-husband. Exner doesn't mutter another word, her expression says all as she zips up a bag and passes it to her.

✵✵✵

An alarm blares loudly, lights shutting down fast one by one to only be rebooted for sight. Octavia was alone in a hallway, seeing that she was trying to find a way out. Liza had gone to the room with patients thinking that she had to help as much as she could, but Octavia knew better. She knew that there was no way they could help them at all. She didn't have time to care for anyone else since she was too worried about herself to get out of there.

She flips her bag onto her lap, her sitting on the side of the hall. Her hands dug inside the bag pulling out her key-card and her flashlight, already seeing that the only lights in the hall were the emergency lights. That wasn't enough light for her to guide herself out. Pressing the button, the flashlight was on. She glances behind her cautiously hearing noises behind her. The echoes of guns shooting off was merely the background as for now, and she'd rather it stay that way.