[13] the facility.

13; the facility .
"Where is Nick?"

✵✵✵

     The facility wasn't a hospital. It looked like a regular building that was made into a sanctuary for the military outside of the fence. Sick, the wounded - Octavia found every injury that she would only be lucky enough to be around in Deck at the hospital downtown. Her being a nurse had put limits to her being helpful. She never got to be in trauma that much. But, this was different.

This was a different situation. She pulled herself in with Exner onto that truck, and they drove that night to the facility to only wind up being informed what they do there, before her and Liza were shown a room where they could sleep.

It was cold room, but it was more than she was expecting. It gave her privacy, it gave her time to talk to Liza about what the hell was going on. Why they had Nick, and what the whole thing was with Liza going with Exner in the first place. She learned little about it. Liza did it for her son. Octavia did it for Nick and Griselda. Griselda was immediately sent into surgery, not giving the two any time to talk to the woman, to ease her mind over what the surgery may entail.

Octavia knew that if the foot wasn't in the best condition, and the surgery wasn't going to help the circulation or the injury, the foot was a goner. Liza wasn't so sure about that.

It seemed like as soon as Octavia walked into the facility, it was like a prison. Doors were closed all the time, and they were given a key to get through doors and into different levels of the building.

When she finally got to sleep, it wasn't pleasant. They were nightmares, those that formed normal people she knew into what they know they turn into called the Infected.

"Why did you come?"

Octavia glances at Liza who was staring at her apprehensively. "They took Nick." She swallows a lump in her throat recalling that just a few hours ago she was kissing him and basically telling him that she was in love with him. Which wasn't what she expected would happen. "I promised his mom I wouldn't leave him, so I came with you."

Liza didn't understand, but over the few days of seeing Nick and her together, she knew something was happening between them. Whether they knew it or not. Her eyes took in the tan girl, seeing the dark circles under her eyes, and found her right cheek was redder than usual that it was turning purple. She knew something must have happened inside the house. "Did they hit you?"

"I was trying to get them away from Nick. Offered me a shiner in return. How nice of the them, right? Years thinking they were here to protect us, when really they were protecting themselves. Selfish pricks, all of them."

"Octavia." Liza starts, grabbing Octavia's darkened eyes with hers. "We have to stick together. You and I. If we want to survive this, we have to. Do you agree?"

Octavia nods, "Yeah."

Liza sighs, and wipes a hand over her face trying to get her thoughts together. She glances at the young girl who had her undivided attention to her. "Whatever happens here, we don't leave without the other, okay?" Another nod. "If one of those things were ever to -"

"I got you." Octavia interrupts already getting Liza's message. She clears her throat and nods. She lets out a shuddering breath, and looks out of the barred window at the half crescent moon. "The same goes to me too." Her eyes glancing at Liza who looked more understanding than anything. "I don't want to be like those people. I don't want to hurt anyone like that."

They were at an understanding. And that night, one fell asleep soundly while the other had nightmares plaguing their mind from sleep. 

✵✵✵