7. The Journey

Chapter seven - The Journey

Alexis stirred at the sound of the alarm. She opened her eyes to the purple glow of the lava lamp. Vision slightly blurry, she sat up in her bed and put her feet on the black plush carpet. She switched the alarm off, rubbed her eyes and walked to the end of the room to switch the main light on. Her eyes took a while to adjust to the lights as she stretched.

The second alarm she had set rang, and she quickly switched it off, not wanting to make any noise.
Alexis got into the shower, and as she washed her body her heart rate increased as she thought of all the fun she would be having over the course of the next week.
When she was done, she she moisturized and put on her outfit for the day. Sweatpants, a blue tank top and her white converse. She tied her hair up with a scarf and attached a giant bow to the front. She packed the last essentials I'm her back pack then said goodbye to her bedroom.

Alexis put her backpack on her back and carried her suitcase to the car.

"Good morning Alexis," Richard greeted his daughter and continued eating his cereal.

"Morning dad, morning ma," Alexis greeted Evelyn as she walked into the kitchen.

Alexis put her bags in the car and then poured a bowl of cereal into a portable bowl for herself. She warmed up some milk and then put it in a flask for later.

****

The car started and Alexis felt herself going back to sleep. Her eyes opened to the most horrible scene ever.

Alexis was standing at the door. She wondered why it was so quiet and no one was home. She had expected Nathan to be throwing things around or doing something to take his mind off the argument they had just had.

Alexis knew that the things she had said to him were harsh, but it had been out of concern. She wasn't sure she was comfortable with him going to wild parties and being reckless, Alexis wanted him to find alternative ways to deal with his emotions, the ones he had not yet shown to her. It wasn't like she wanted to control him, she was just concerned. They had been arguing a lot recently and it was worrying. Getting him to open up and let her help him had been enough for Alexis, but she had noticed distance and he seemed to want to deal with the anger and pain he had been through in unhealthy ways. They had spoken about it before, but when they did that Saturday evening, Nathan got very upset and defensive. He claimed that she was trying to change him and that she could never understand what he had been through. He ended by saying that it was his life, and if she didn't like the choices she made then she could forget him.

Alexis was about to knock on the door when she heard a moan. A moan? And it didn't sound male. She took a deep breath and then opened the door, and when she did her heart shattered to a thousand pieces. Kaylee looked up and made eye contact with Alexis, her eyes widening when she realized what was going on. Nathan pushed Kaylee off, but by that time Alexis had already started to leave.

Alexis watched her body leave, but Nathan and Kaylee were still in front of her, as if she was watching television.

"You don't have to go after her babe, you have me. And I know you want me," Kaylee said, trying to kiss Nathan.

Nathan resisted for just a second, then gave in to the kiss. He turned to face Kaylee, and smiled. The crooked smile Alexis had so dearly loved.

Alexis shook herself from sleep and in a panic checked her phone. It was only four, o'clock. Four o'clock? Alexis was about to stand up, realizing she had woken up late but the early morning sky outside the car window stopped her. She was in the car already, on her way to a week full of happiness.
Relieved, she lay her head down on the pillow again and replayed the happenings of her dream. The last part had really freaked her out. Could that be what had really happened? Could it be the reason that Nathan had not come running after her that night? Alexis decide that she would not stress over the past anymore. It would take a while to stop dreaming about it, but questioning what had happened again wouldn't make it any better.