24. "I miss you"

Chapter twenty four - I miss you

Alexis stubbed her toe against the armchair in her room and stumbled to her bed.
The searing pain paralyzed her for a moment and she screamed into her pillow.

"Owwy," Alexis whined. She sat up on her bed and massaged the toe to relieved it from the pain. Before and even after she had showered she was feeling groggy and lazy. Stubbing her toe had really woken her up. She shivered at the coldness of her hair dripping on her neck and back then wrapped it with a towel. Faint rays of sunlight shone into Alexis room; the sun had already started to rise. Alexis yawned, she hadn't slept quite enough after the day before. Joanne dragged her to a late night movie and then took her out for ice cream afterwards.

She got home, half asleep with a dead battery and a concerned father staring at his computer screen and waiting for her to come home. Alexis had forgotten to let her parents know that she would be staying out much later than planned. She felt bad, but was too tired to explain her case. Richard expressed his disappointment, not in his words, but in the way he looked at her. He hadn't even hugged her probably when she bid him goodnight.

Alexis sat on her bed and checked her cellphone for any messages. She had a few, and was quite surprised that none of them were from Matthew.

Alexis opened unlocked her phone and opened her messages. She had a message from a number she had never seen before. It seemed quite important though, so she opened it.

5748 7483 4738:
Be careful who you hang around with and what you believe. Sometimes people lie to get their own way

Alexis frowned and her heart dropped. Who was the message from? What did it mean?

Alexis:
Who is this?

5748 7483 4738:
A concerned friend

"Okay..." Alexis muttered.
She took a screenshot of the chat and sent a picture to Joanne.

Joanne:
What is this?

Alexis:
I wish I knew.. Why be anonymous about it though? If I knew who it was from then I could make a connection

Joanne:
It's probably a prank message

Alexis:
Let's hope so.. Coz I have this unsettling feeling in my stomach

Joanne:
Maybe it's about Matt.. I mean you don't completely know where he's coming from, his family, history

Alexis:
I'm sure there's nothing to be worried about

Joanne:
Mhmm.. Maybe you should ask him about his life, but on a deeper level. Not just the surface

Alexis:
Mhmm...

Joanne:
And then you can kiss him ;)

Alexis chuckled. She stood from her bed and put on her navy sweatpants and a cotton tank top.

Alexis:
Yes, and then I can kiss him

She opened her windows and a gust of wind swept past her, giving her goosebumps and leaving her scalp feeling refreshed.