Epilogue

"I'm here for you and I always will be, no matter what."

The last time someone had said that to her, it hadn't ended well.

As she drove home the words repeated themselves over and over in Alexis' mind.

She remembered herself In Nathan's arms and he whispered "I love you," into her ear. He told her that he would be there for her no matter what. That same week, Alexis found Nathan and Kaylee in each other's arms.

Alexis couldn't stop her tears from falling. She sat in her car and cried over everything and nothing and the helpless feeling that had taken over her. She felt uncertain and anxious. With Matthew there was comfort and something that resembled love. He had lied, yes, but Alexis thought about the whole thing and tried to understand how difficult it must have been for him. Trusting him, or anyone again would take a while, but after what had happened with Nathan, she wasn't willing to lose someone important because she would not talk to them. Alexis decided to send a message to Matthew, to reassure him that she wouldn't be cutting him out of her life. She was sure that he would understand that she she needed some time to think about everything and deal with it in her own way. When she was ready, she would tell him how she really felt.

Alexis unlocked her phone, opened the Instagram app and saw the notification. She had a new follower and his name was Matthew Harrison.

So this was it; his real Instagram profile. It wasn't the one Nathan had created to get her back.

Alexis clicked the button to compose a direct message.

Yes. I do like you

She stared at the messaged and shook her head then deleted what she had typed before. Ever so slowly, with thousands of questions rushing through her mind and screaming to be asked, Alexis typed the simple word that had started her off on a roller coaster of emotions.

lexisxx:
hey

Alexis hoped that Matthew meant everything he had said. If it meant starting again, she was willing to do it. Matthew had helped to ease the pain of her loss and had been a significant part in finding her happiness again; she would never forgive herself if he was the one that got away.