2. First Impressions

When the assembly was finally over it was time to head to 3rd period, which for me, was Geology. Yippie. Math and Science were really not my thing. When it came to academics I was an English, history kinda girl, but alas, it looked better on a college application to have four years of the basics. Woe is me.

I said goodbye to Jill and headed off to the science building. I found the right room and walked in, taking a seat at one of the large lab tables. There were six lab tables in the room, each set with two barstools on either side. Most tables still had an empty seat or two, but I held back for a moment before choosing a table. I scanned the room briefly, studying the other students’ expressions and body language, figuring I might as well put some thought into picking my lab partners if I’d be stuck with them all year.

One table was full, so I ignored it. Another had three people who were laughing and joking loudly. It was something having to do with the principal and not in a nice way, so I passed on them. Two boys sat at one table, both staring off in random directions zoning out. Either jocks or stoners were my guess...maybe both. No thanks.

A fourth table held two girls who were whispering, their heads inclined towards each other. I assumed they were gossiping and thought it best to avoid that kind of friendship. The fifth table held a boy and girl who were currently displaying their relationship status as a couple for all to see, so I walked past them to sit at the sixth table, which happened to be empty. Since I couldn’t seem to find an interesting person to sit next to, maybe one would come along and find me.

I got a notepad and pencil out of my backpack and set them on the table, then pulled out a book and decided to read until class started. I’d only finished a page or two before the barstool across from me scraped across the ground loudly, startling me. I looked up at the source of the disturbance to find the golden-eyed boy looking at me, his eyes still an unusual yellow, but they weren’t glowing as they had this morning. His brow was raised condescendingly, mocking me, I guessed, for being startled.

I was unable to help frowning at both his rude expression and apparently rude personality. I had thought in that tiny moment this morning that he seemed interesting and at the very least polite since he’d nodded to me, but I guess I’d been wrong.

He sat down heavily, throwing his bag onto the floor carelessly and tossed a sketchpad onto the lab table with a resounding slap. Without sparing another glance my way, he crouched over his sketchpad and began to draw. I watched for another moment, completely unsure of what to make of him before finally turning back to my book.

Barely a second later, the other stool opposite me screeched loudly as well. This time I wasn’t as startled, but I couldn’t help looking up at the newcomer in annoyance. He was a tall, partially Asian-looking boy with full lips and an angular jaw. His black hair was short and spiked and his eyes were so dark brown they almost looked black, but they sparkled in the light so it kept them from looking creepy.

He looked at me with a contrite expression for having disturbed me. “Sorry.” Then he flashed a lopsided, carefree grin.

I smiled back. “S’okay.”

The teacher walked in then to begin class and I put my book away. Mr. Devon was an older gentleman, maybe in his mid 50s. He wore clear-framed classes and a white lab coat over khaki trousers and an aqua polo. He seemed like the typical science geek, though maybe less socially challenged than most.

“Okay, here’s the syllabus for this class.” He held up a stack of papers and handed them to the first table. “Please take one and pass them around.” He walked behind his own lab table and sat down on a barstool that was taller than the rest of ours. Was that some subtle statement the school was making—that teachers are above us? Or is it simply so that we can see him more easily? I shook my head to clear my random thoughts, but ended up with yet another random thought—that shaking my head to clear it reminded me of an etch-a-sketch. I laughed quietly at myself, shaking my head once again. I noticed the Asian boy looking at me with an amused but puzzled expression, while the other boy scowled at me. What was his problem?