21. Night Ride

As I finished getting ready for the races tonight, I heard the doorbell ring through the house. Knowing my mom would get it if I didn’t rush out, I grabbed my leather jacket and slipped it on. I was wearing a similar outfit as last time, but chose a form-fitting grey turtleneck instead of the low cut top.

“Gemma, your ride’s here,” my mom called out from the living room.

I snatched my cell phone from its charger on my nightstand and slid it into my pants pocket then jogged to the front door. When my mom stepped aside so I could pass, I was surprised to see Mal standing at the door instead of Connor.

He smiled, seemingly pleased with my reaction.

“Bye, mom. Be back by two,” I said over my shoulder as I began to walk toward Mal’s motorcycle sitting in our driveway.

“One!” She insisted.

“Two!” I reasserted.

“You know, one is plenty late for a 16 year-old. Most moms are way more strict than I am,” she commented.

“And that’s why I love you so much,” I replied. “You let me stay out ‘til two!” I continued backing away from the door.

“I know you meant to say one!” she said loudly to make sure I heard.

“Plus one is two!” I grinned at her and she threw her hands up in defeat looking mildly annoyed, but the amusement on her face tempered it.

“You just get your way with everything, don’t you,” Mal commented mockingly. I shot him a confused look and he elaborated. “Negotiating your curfew, convincing me to come tonight.”

I shrugged with my eyes glued to the ground, not sure whether to respond flippantly or genuinely. I couldn’t tell if he was teasing me or resenting that fact.

A shiny black helmet was thrust under my nose and I jerked my head up to find Malcolm smirking at me. It felt like it had been a while since I’d seen that smirk, though it was probably only a week.

I noticed a second black helmet in his other hand. “You bought an extra one for me?” I asked, flabbergasted.

“I happen to like your head the way it is—undamaged and in tact,” he winked playfully, making my heart stutter.

I was surprised at his thoughtfulness since I’d only ridden with him once before. Apparently he was optimistic that I’d be riding with him again. That thought had me smiling as I carefully climbed onto the back of the bike and settled in.

I slid my hands around Mal’s waist to rest on his diaphragm and I felt him shiver. “You should zip up your jacket so you don’t get cold,” I told him with a frown. If he was cold now, I was worried he’d get even colder when we started driving.

He twisted sinuously to look at me and his voice spoke out huskily. “I’m not cold in the slightest, Gem.” His hungry gaze pierced through me and I took in a quiet breath then, holding it in. I was beginning to feel like my body was burning up from the inside out when he finally broke our trance, turning to the front once more. I felt his warm hand give mine a gentle squeeze, then he turned the engine over and the bike came to life with a roar.

I gripped him a little tighter just to be sure I wouldn’t fly off. A moment later he let the bike coast down our driveway and then we shot out onto the street. The chilly wind whipped fiercely past us making me glad I’d worn a long sleeved top and the leather jacket.

As we merged onto the highway Mal kicked up the speed significantly and I couldn’t help grinning. Had it been anyone else driving I probably would’ve been freaking out, but I trusted him entirely. Because of that, I was able to relax and enjoy the adrenaline rush as we raced through the city.