Chapter One: Sun and Moon

The land of Equestria was especially beautiful one evening. The sun and moon seemed to balance, so that it was neither day nor night. And so it came to pass that on that night, thousands of years ago, a filly was born. An alicorn, a rare and amazing breed of pony. Her mother was Queen Solstice, and her father was King Sirius. They had ruled together for three thousand years, and the kingdom had been mostly peaceful. The King and Queen were amazed by this balance of the night and day, as nothing like it had 3ver happened before. In honor of the event, they named their filly Celestia, after the celestial rarity that surrounded her at birth. The filly grew, and when her parents revealed that she was to become a big sister, she was elated. At last it came time for the foal to be born. As everyone watched in awe, the sun and the moon once more aligned to recreate the beauty of Celestia's birth to welcome another alicorn filly. Sirius and Solstice, now assured of their children's legacies, named this filly Luna. The sisters Celestia and Luna became fast friends. They did everything together, from tormenting their mentor, Starswirl, to playing in the palace gardens. Yet they were not the same. Celestia loved the bright burning of the sun, and Luna loved the gentle glow and sparkle of the moon and stars. But they were best friends, nevertheless. They lived with their parents in complete peace.

Until the Changeling War began.