Chapter Thirteen: Shadows

Five years later.....

"I now pronounce you Mare and Stallion!" The small crowd of ponies gathered in the gazebo outside of Canterlot applauded as Celestia spoke the words. Luna included. She would have presided over the ceremony herself, but she had been offered a much more important role: that of Mare of Honor. For tonight was the marriage of one of her dearest friends, Midnight Winter, to the stallion Star Fire. They are so very much in love. The two had met shortly after the Pegasus constellation was formed, and had been growing closer up to now. Five years ago. It's only a day to an alicorn...but she didn't know him five years ago, and now they're married. Luna watched as Midnight threw her bouquet. The bunch of pale blue lilies landed at the feet of a forest green mare. As the wedding guests began to make their way towards the dance floor and food, Midnight and Star Fire came close to Luna. "Thank you so much for gracing our wedding with your presence, Princess Luna." Said Star Fire, in the deep tone that was his voice. Midnight smiled. "And thank you for being my Mare of Honor! This is the happiest night of my life!" Midnight rested her head on Star Fire's shoulder as they made their way to a sea of wedding guests. Luma watched them as they went. She heard Celestia's voice behind her. "Luna. There you are. The wedding is over. It's time to go." Luna whirled. "Over? The wedding isn't over." Celestia rolled her eyes slightly. "I know the wedding party isn't over. But the ceremony is, and I have some business I'd like to attend to." Luna's mouth dropped open slightly. Leave my friend's wedding so she can attend to her business?!? I don't think so...
"You go if you want, Tia. But I'm staying here." Celestia shrugged and took off, freshly dyed mane visible against the deep blue of Luna's sky. Luna felt a barely noticeable twinge in her chest. Ah. So you noticed the change in Celestia's behavior these past years. No matter. I'm sure she means nothing by it.
--------------------------------
Luna walked into her room around noon. Yawning, she looked at herself in the mirror. Long night, but worth it.
The mirror was itself a beautiful piece, all silver and blue and black. The surface was perfectly clean, and not a scratch marred its surface. Almost like looking into a...puddle. An image flashed before Luna's eyes: in all of her nightmares, there was always a mirrored surface. She would always see the monster mare in the reflection. That will never happen. Luna removed her royal trappings and got into her bed. Pulling the sheets up close to her, she drifted off to sleep.

And immediately wished she hadn't.

The nightmares came fast. They were a little different this time. Instead of seeing the ponies running in terror across the strange streets, Luna was in the throne room. But something was different. The light coming through the window was strangely dim, and it felt...evil. The banner that hung between the thrones had been replaced by two different ones; one showed the sun, the other showed the moon. Luna looked down from the top of marble stairs, to where Celestia stood. But not the Celestia she knew. This Celestia was older, sadder, and more angry. Fear struck Luna as she walked towards where Luna herself stood. What happened next was all a blur. It was all a mass of screams and tears and pleas for mercy. And then a blinding light.

And then nothingness.

Luna awoke with a start, sitting straight up in bed. No. That could never happen.

Or could it?