Chapter Nine: Morning Mourning

Celestia tried to calm her nerves. It can be that bad, can it? Even as she thought that, she felt like she had betrayed Starswirl. News of his death will shake Equestria. He was a very important stallion. Tears gathered in Celestia's eyes as she taught of all the times Starswirl had been there for her. He was the closest thing to a father I had....and I practically called him insane. He was wrong about Luna. But I never should have thought him mad! Celestia looked down at her hooves. At least...at least Luna is here. But for once, that wasn't quite enough. So Celestia ordered a rain. Not just a local one, but one with great torrents of water falling from the heavens upon the entire country. The weather pegasi did their job, and rain fell on all of Equestria. Later, messengers would be sent to tell the sad news of Starswirl's death to the masses. But for now, for only a few precious minutes, Celestia was alone to mourn her mentor. The rain washed out all the dye in her mane from the coronation, returning it to its natural pink. She could have stayed for half an hour. But her public was waiting. She ordered a cease on the rain, and used magic to dry her soaking wet mane. She headed back into the palace. Luna met her at the doors that only a day earlier had been the scene of a happy moment for both of them. The door seemed to creak open this time, as if crying themselves. The creatures below were a curious, rather reduced crowd. Many of the animals had gone home. Besides Equestrian citizens, only a few Zebra, three Buffalo, and the Draconians still remained. Celestia stepped out, putting on a brave but grim face. Few creatures noticed the sudden change of color in her mane as she looked out over them. They...have...no...idea... Celestia felt a tear slide down her face. No. None of that. Be a Princess! Celestia spoke in a distant tone: "Equestria, I bring you grave news. Our beloved Starswirl the Bearded was found dead in his bed this morning...." A quiet murmur quickly escalated. Better say what I can now. "He died in his sleep, of old age. We will have a funeral for him in four days' time." Then Celestia turned to leave. All she wanted was a quiet walk in the gardens. But as she entered those vast grounds, she found that she was not to be alone. There, on a stone seat near a fountain, sat the youngest Draconeqqus. Discord, is his name? Whatever the case, he hadn't seen her yet, and she didn't really want his company. Celestia was ready to turn right back around when the Draconeqqus turned, catching sight of her. So much for avoiding company.... The young Draconequi's eyes followed Celestia as she walked slowly to the other side of the fountain and sat down on that bench. Celestia took a deep breath and closed her eyes. Rest. Opening her eyes, she nearly screamed. The Draconeqqus had magically teleported (or walked) to her side of the fountain! It took all she had to not scream and make a fool of herself in front of this dignitary. The Draconeqqus, on the other hoof, was quite calm. He studied Celestia for a long time. Then looked straight into her eyes: "I like you better up close." Celestia was not exactly sure what to do with that information. Let's review. Draconeqqus. Male. Very magical, apparently. Just said some very strange words to me. What is proper on this situation? Celestia came up with the answer in a split second. She nodded once, and said "Thank you." But she didn't smile. Discord introduced himself. Not that Celestia needed that. She had read up on the current powers in the world, since most would be at her coronation. She knew more than most librarians about the Draconequi. For instance, she knew that the Draconeqqus Code forbade any pair from having more than two offspring, otherwise the chaos caused might be irreparable. The same code also made the younger Draconeqqus the heir to his or her parents' estates. Discord had an older sister, named Eris. This made Discord the next Draconeqqus Lord. And as he was such, Celestia felt that she needed to at least be civil. A lone frog hopped into the fountain, causing a moment's distraction from the situation. A strange smile lit Discord's face. He turned to Celestia.

"I found that to be quite 'ribbiting'!"

Celestia blinked. And blinked again. And then she began to laugh. Both of them laughed. They laughed so hard, the palace staff began to wonder if someone was dying. At last Celestia wiped a tear from her eye. Such a silly, random thing...

...I love it!