Chapter Fourteen: Rift

Has it really been a whole year? Luna thought, as she watched the presentation of Midnight Winter and Star Fire's foal. A handsome dark blue colt, named partially after Luna no less. Lunar Flight had been born only five days before. Luna thought back to the night. I feel like I know this colt better than he knows himself! I am so happy for Midnight and Star. Too bad Tia isn't here... Celestia had pleaded out of the ceremony, saying she had some important business with the Griffons. She needs to sort out her priorities. Important business or no, she needs to be there for me, if not my friends! The presentation ceremony took place in Canterlot Town Square, though it was strangely quiet. Where is everypony? And then Luna realized. The crowds had been getting smaller and smaller every day. The ponies needed sleep, and they often chose watching the sunrise to watching the moonrise or anything after. Pfff. I don't mind. They're missing out. But somewhere deep inside, Luna did mind. I'll just talk to Celestia.
-----------------------------
"What do you mean, you 'can't do anything about it'?!? You're the one they come to see, so say something!" Celestia shook her head condescendingly. "Luna, ponies can do what they'd like. If they choose to watch me and not you, maybe you should try to make the sky more interesting."

At that, the first crack appeared in Luna's heart.

----------------------------
Celestia sat on her bed after lowering the sun that evening. Luna hadn't spoken to her all day. Not at the ceremony, not in the hall. Not a word. Maybe I shouldn't have said what I did. It could have sounded like I meant something I didn't. Celestia slept fitfully that night, tossing and turning. When at last it was morning, Celestia arose to perform her duties. As she stepped out onto her balcony, the crowd beneath erupted into cheers. "There she is!", "The Princess!", "Long live Celestia"! Celestia lifted her head in a practiced movement. It made her look taller, more graceful, and more...royal. But as their cheers echoed about her, something inside her whispered that this wasn't right. Luna used to get this admiration. Luna was the one praised for her grace. Luna was the one who had always been right there for her sister... Enough about Luna. My public awaits. Celestia smiled and tossed her mane just slightly, as to let the dyed hues of her mane flow out a bit. From her own balcony, Luna watched. A sick feeling was growing in her chest. Look at her. How wonderful it must feel to have the ponies admire you like that. I should know... You should know admiration! You deserve it more than Celestia! Luna froze. Something was in her head. But it couldn't be...it was her head. Still...the voice wasn't entirely her own...and it was oddly familiar... And then Luna nearly fell over. She did recognize that voice. It had haunted her dreams for years now.

It was the voice of a nightmare.

And the rift created between Celestia and Luna had brought the voice to reality.