Chapter Seven: To Be a Moon Princess

Luna was inside her new room, awaiting the call to go out. Out to the crowd. Out to her subjects. In a few short minutes, she would see the crowd. See it again, that is. She had seen the beginnings of the crowd when she had lowered the moon. They were all there for her and Celestia. Luna looked in the mirror and laughed softly. Never thought about drawing a crowd.... But she had. Now she just had to face them. Luna was nervous, of course. But she felt ready. The word destiny rang over and over again in her mind. The clothes she now wore were those of a Princess, the crown she would wear tonight was that of a ruler, the flowing deep blue of her mane was testament to her power. As she had grown, it had gotten darker. Little stars had even appeared, so it appeared as if Luna wore the sky she decorated. The trumpets began to sound. Here we go... Luna stepped out into the hallway where Celestia was standing. She looks so graceful and elegant...is that what I am? Luna could feel a tingling excitement growing. There were the doors. The voice out there, is that...Starswirl? Luna nearly laughed out loud. She could hear as much excitement in his voice a she was feeling right now. The doors swung wide, and Luna caught her breath. They're all here for us? There have to be at least eight thousand creatures here! Luna was so wrapped up, she almost didn't notice Celestia begin her walk to the podium. Unlike the creatures in the crowd, Luna had watched Celestia work. So she was content to watch the crowd's faces as her sister raised the sun. So much joy and amazement! Luna took special note of what Celestia had done to the sun that day. Hmm...brighter than usual. Very hot. They'll enjoy the sky I have planned for tonight.
-------------------------
Twelve....hours....of....diplomacy...
TWELVE HOURS! Luna was thoroughly tired. Her earlier energy had been worn by dancing (with quite a few males), speeches, and lots of formality. I suppose I'll get used to it. She felt a hoof touch her shoulder gently. Celestia. "It will just be a moment, Lulu." Celestia was using her pet name for Luna. "Just a few more minutes and I'll lower the sun. Then it's your chance to shine." Luna smiled. She had mentally mapped out the sky for tonight. She had decided to do something she had never done before: she would show the crowd the universe. Not all of it, of course. Just a little corner, with all its stars and galaxies stretching across the sky. They could see what she saw.
Right on time, the flutes started. Luna had never really liked trumpets. Luna stepped out onto the stairs where Celestia had been crowned at dawn. The gold staff...thing..is gone. It it's place was a silver crescent moon, tipped so that blue silk could hang from it like streamers. Starswirl was waiting. Good. He'll see too! Luna spoke the words in her mind:

For Celestia!

Luna's horn glowed. A silver swirl began as a tiny dot, and grew to consume to whole sky as the disc of the moon rose over Equestria. But Luna wasn't done. She put the swirling galaxies and glimmering stars up in the places she had planned for them. With each new wonder, the crowd would gasp, or cheer, or clap. Or they would sit in near silence, the only sound a breath of awe. That was the best. Yes. This is it.

This is what it's like to be a Moon Princess.