Chapter Seven

Werewolf a term so specific and impossible that my eyes widened and my eyebrows furrowed in question. Here was I standing in front of a werewolf, Aran, nearly fainting from the impact of such a confession. I was already confused and awed by the lifestyle of humans. Now to be told that not only humans lived on dry land but also werewolves was absolutely fascinating and slightly insane. I had read about werewolves, once, in a mythology book that was in the library I had at home. The only knowledge I knew about them was that they were half human and half wolf, hence their name. I hadn't realized how lost into my thoughts I had become, until I caught a fragment of what Aran had been saying this whole time.

"-crazy but you have to listen to me, okay? I don't want you to be afraid of me." He explained. Wanting to see his transformation for myself I asked,

"Prove it." Those two words made him take a confused step back.

"That's it? You're not going to accuse me of lying? Of being insane? Of anything at all?" His expression was skeptical of my lack of words.
Simply shrugging I asked him again to prove it, hiding my eagerness. Taking another two steps back he rolled his head around before I heard the crackling of bones and in the place of Aran stood a large wolf.

His wolf was powerful and mysterious. His fur was black as the midnight sky and his eyes shined a soft, warm green ringed with gold. Slowly the wolf, or Aran, moved toward me. Surprised I jumped back, but Aran took this as a sign of fear so he bowed his head down docilely. Taking steady steps toward him I reached my hand out and touched his fur. It felt as soft as silk, maybe even softer. I smiled into his eyes and he let out a low humble growl. Chuckling I said

"good boy!" This time is growl was a playful warning that said 'I'm not a pet so don't treat me like one' my smile grew wider. It felt comforting to know that merpeople were not the only supernatural kind out there.

"You can shift back now, I believe you, and I'm not afraid of you." I told him. Happily trotting to the connecting bathroom he went inside and shifted back to his human form. A few seconds later he came out only in a pair of shorts. His torso was on full display for me and I devouring every detail. His muscles were well defined and worthy of any girls attention; tamed and toned. I noticed a small scar on the side of his stomach, it was shaped like a crescent moon.

"My eyes are up here," he said, a smirk danced on his lips. My face heated as I looked away. I hadn't really seen a human body like his before, of course many mermen were muscular and taut but looking at him just seemed more intimate.

"Hey, it's okay their all yours anyway. " My eyes shot up to meet his, there was a proud smile on his lips, his eyes were lighted with joy.

"What do you mean?" I asked. He stepped into the closet and slipped on a white shirt as he explained,

"Every werewolf has a mate. A mate is a person they belong with, the person that is supposed to love them for the rest of their life. It's important a werewolf finds their mate, otherwise they might become depressed, especially an Alpha. Forest, you are my mate and I am your mate." That explained my feelings for him. Yes, I did have feelings for him, feelings I didn't understand until just now. A smile formed on my face, I barely knew Aran, yet I already felt happy with him.

"Are you an Alpha?" I remembered the title from when Cameron had mentioned it.

He smiled, "yes, how did you figure it out?"

"You seem powerful." I shrugged.
His reply surprised me,

"So do you." Me? I was a princess but I had never flaunted my power or even truly embraced it. My whole life as a princess was full of doubts. There were times when I would be confident about my status and felt ready, but then my doubts would roll back in and my confidence would drop. People have told me that I would make a great Queen, but how could they know? Sure they had seen me in action a few times but could they base their assumptions on just a few times? No, they couldn't.