Chapter Fifty Four

The healing process is a beautiful one. And it seemed as our family removed it's last band aids from its sealed wounds, the earth began anew too, with budding flowers and verdant fields. The Pack was finally beginning to run smoothly again, no tension, no panic, it were as if everyone had exhaled.

We had been holding our breath for months, it was a breath long awaited. It turned out that Caleb had a family that was looking for him. Aran had managed to come in contact with them, and together we put him back into their hands.

Caleb did not have a say in the matter.

I sighed and hefted the quart of sugar up before tipping it over into the dark, bitter, cup of coffee. I scolded him for taking it with four spoons of sugar and enough milk to turn the drink white. Yet he was the one person I could not deny, and there I was, making the drink myself, just the way he liked it. The liquid would have spilled over the edges if I hadn't taken a small sip of the drink, as I always did.

With steady movements I made my way up to his study, the smell of coffee filling my nose and just fading from my mouth. I walked in on Aran lounging casually in his desk chair, doing absolutely nothing.

He smiled as I narrowed my eyes and set his coffee down. "Thanks, baby."

Much to my embarrassment I could never keep my face from reddening when he called me names like that.

"You're welcome. What are you doing anyway?"

He tilted his head at me. "You know I love your blush, Fore," He smiled cheekily, "I'm not doing anything."

I leaned forward onto his desk. "Thats my point, shouldn't you be doing something?"

He sipped his coffee, "Nope, I've finished my work for the day. But I do need to tell you something."

I beckoned him with a nod.

"I'm going out tonight," he declared, "I promised the night guards I would check in every now and then to make sure everything is running smoothly. I thought James would have a handle on this, but he insisted I confirm the schedules and run-throughs. Will you be okay here?"

He looked up at me from beneath sunlight lashes.

Of course I would, right? I'd been alone in the house on various occasions--never at night--but this wouldn't be any different. Hmmm. It would simply be the same.

I scoffed at myself, I was fine now. Stronger and better and I had nothing to worry about. Nothing.

I nodded at him, fiddling with my fingers.

"You hesitated ..." there was a question in his statement, a demand for a confirmation that told me he was not at ease if I was not at ease.

"I'll be fine here, just don't be gone too long."

"No harm will come to me." Cursed with Poseidon's pride. I shook my head at him, scolding him with my eyes, glaring as best I could.

"Okay, okay, I'll be back at a decent hour. You have nothing to worry about." His smile was like fire to my insides, heating them, and melting them to liquid love. It was all that kept me from fishing out the sarcasm in his voice and snapping at him for it. Instead, I went over to him and placed a kiss on his cheek, brushing his hair from his forehead with my fingers.

"Is this why you wanted coffee so late?"

He nodded, "but I also wanted to see you." He gave me a kiss on my neck.

"I'm only right down the hall, you know."

"Yes, but if I call you while I'm supposed to be working, you'll think I need help or something with my work, and then I'll never hear the end of it."