Chapter Fifty

I woke up on my stomach. It felt like someone was blowing cold air onto my back: tingly and fresh. I was getting ready to roll over but then I realized how painful that would be for me, considering my situation.

For a girl who was used to water, my reaction to fire had been a bit frantic. Well, now I was absolutely terrified of the orange flames.

I lay with my left ear pressed to the pillow, eyes wide open and hands hanging over the sides of the bed. Lazy as ever.

A door opened behind me and the light pit patter of shoes spread through the quiet of the room.

A woman stood in front of me, bending down to my eye level.

"Hey, who are you?" My words were slower than my brain and I felt slightly more stupid than I was before.

"My name is Kara, I'm the nurse in charge around here, you are Miss Forest."

I lifted my head but groaned because the simple crane of my neck sent tingles spiraling down my spine.

"Aran is sleeping, try and keep it down while I adjust you into a more comfortable position. Also, I brought you some water." My ears perked twice. First, Aran, and then . . . water.

"Thanks," sounded more like tthhaaaankss. Kara giggled childishly and then covered her mouth when I heard movement from beside me. Kara seemed very kind and shy, everything she did seemed child like. In fact, she looked a tad bit older than me, but still quite young.

Her skin was dark and her eyes gleamed mischievously. The word nurse, didn't seem to fit her. The job was too small for her, it seemed, she would mold into it and then soon it would conform to her.

I studied her every move as her soft hands gently helped me into a sitting position. There wasn't so much pain, my back was starting to feel numb and cold. Every expression she made was a smile, but I did catch a few pouts when I ended up lying at a weird angle before she would adjust me again.

She avoided touching my back.

"Your back is all wrapped up, Miss Forest, we gave you some pain killers and applied ointment onto the burns to help lessen the pain." She whispered close to my ear, not wanting to wake her Alpha, who I noticed was sprawled in the chair next to the bed, sound asleep.

"Thank you, Miss Kara. Thank you very much." I could feel my mouth starting to catch up with my brain, thank Posiedon.

She swatted her hands at me. "Please, Miss, call me Kara."

I stuck my hand out, as was human custom. "Nice to meet you Kara, call me Forest." Her face was rich with blush as she nodded and handed me the cup of water she'd brought.

"Shall I wake him?" She jutted her head Aran's way.

I shook my head, "I'm sure he's tired, I'll be fine."

She turned to leave but then, it was like every little detail of last night came running into my head like a million people vying for the title of first place.

"Kara? Is everyone alright? Did anyone get hurt?"

She smiled softly. "Amber and Matthew are quite alright, there were a few others that were shot or injured, but not severely. You were the only one who was in critical condition with those burns of yours. You're lucky, Miss. Quite lucky."

I looked at her like she was dead. I was in critical condition? And then I remembered, I was on fire.

I bounced back into the pillows, my back aching slightly with the action. "Good Gods, Kara, what a day."