Chapter Thirty-Four

"What's happening?" I choked before another gut-wrenching scream tore from my throat and echoed off of the steely grey walls of my confinement. My head spun with dizziness, it felt like the world was spinning at one hundred miles per hour. It felt as if there were a hook in my heart and the string that it was connected to was being tugged. My skin and heart were ripping like it would if an arrow were being torn from where it struck. Not only was there the illusion of physical pain, but there was emotional pain, which was very real. It felt as if the bond that tethered me to Aran was . . . breaking. I was utterly confused. Could the bond between two soul mates break? It didn't seem right if it could.

A hot sweat began to creep up the back of my neck as the pain worsened, taking away the tiny bit of hydration my body had sustained. I bit my lip to hold back another scream. Barnacles, this was a pain I had never felt before; the complete wreckage of a heart. I wondered if Aran was feeling the same thing I was, or if it was something he was doing or enduring that might be the cause of such destruction.

Was he in danger? The mere prospect of him being in danger was the key to unlocking a raging over protective beast from my heart that I never knew lived there. Suddenly I was surging to the door, crawling as fast as my bruised knees could take me, and banging my fists against the cool metal of the door. I screamed to Mason that Aran was in danger, he needed help, I could feel it. I should have known Mason would ignore me, that I wouldn't feel the hopeful rush of air that would swoop against my skin as the door opened.

I was left alone to suffer through the pain and to sort my terrifying thoughts of paranoia.

Aran

The ache of worry and fright in my chest wouldn't cease, but they were not my emotions; they were Forest's. At the moment, the only emotions I felt were fury and annoyance as I gazed at the unconscious witch, the smell of burning wood filling my nose.

The witch, was being held in a cell where she was surrounded by wood and tied to a wooden stake, which I had already set on fire as a wake up call. When her eyes opened, I saw confusion, but then her nose twitched and the confusion turned to fear.

Before she could say anything nasty, I spoke. "You have two options; burn at the stake, or tell me what you were trying to accomplish before, and why. As you can see, time is not on your side so I suggest you tell me what I want to know." I gestured to small fire that was quickly eating its way up to her feet.

Her head jerked up, and it was clear in her eyes that she did not want to die today. "I haven't done anything wrong, I was just desperate for your attention." I snorted. Seriously?

"You haven't done anything wrong? You used your witchy powers on me so that I would let you into my house, you staged that whole kiss so that my mate would see it and run away. You lied to me about who your father was, I called Henry, and what was weird was that he said he doesn't have a daughter, in fact Henry is only 25 so I doubt he would have a daughter your age wondering around. On top of that, you tried to break my mate bond! And don't even try to deny that because if you truly were a desperate teenage girl vying for my attention, you would have stopped trying to kiss me when I started to scream." The fire was now dangerously close to her feet.

"I was just helping out a friend." She said hotly.

"Would that friend happen to be Mason White?" I sneered at her and she scowled in response.

"No. I don't even know who that is." Moon Goddess above this girl was a terrible liar.

"I can see that you really want to die today. Before you said that you were desperate, and now you say you're helping out a friend? Mason was stupid to hire you." I chided, smiling at her.