Chapter Seventeen

"So, when do I get to see you as a mermaid?" Aran asked excitedly with a hint of curiosity popping through the green of his eyes. I cocked my head. My smile was as sad as the aftermath of a tragic storm. I had no idea when he would get to see me as a mermaid, my gills were injured, and there really wasn't much I could do but drink water 24/7 to try and make a difference in the quickness of the healing.

"I'm not sure, Dale destroyed my gills, who knows how long it will take me to heal," I said quietly, looking away. A low inhuman growl emitted from the depths of Aran's throat. The growl slithered around me, like a snake creeping up to its prey, causing a shiver to spiral down my spine. His fists were balled and his jaw was clenched.

I shifted closer to him crinkling the soft sheets of the bed as I moved. The stiffness of my body was a result of my wound. Any way I moved, pain would echo through my body, causing my limbs to become tense and my movements awkward.

"Who the hell is this Dale? I'll kill that bastard for hurting you and trespassing on my territory." I tried not to wince as I placed a warm hand on his arm in an attempt to calm him down. I felt his muscles relax under my touch, now that he was relaxed so was I, but his words ignited a strong mundane sense of stress. The simple word territory made my shoulders stoop. It reminded me of the part I now played as the new leader of The Moonlight pack. I was the Luna, as they called it, which was a huge responsibility. But how could I lead this pack and lead my people below?
"Dale is my cousin," I spoke up, "I have no idea why he attacked me or what possessed him to. Things back home must be bad, really bad. Someone must have taken the throne while I was gone, if I'm right, then they would want me dead, or at least disabled." I muttered the last part, mostly to myself.

"But why would they want you dead?" Aran asked.

"I didn't tell you this, but I'm actually the princess of Atlandria," I said shyly, "Atlandria is my kingdom, the one I was raised to rule and my home." A flame of shock burned across his face leaving a trail of ash that left his face as pale as sea foam.

His brows rose high as if they were reaching for the sky, "so you're a princess," he said slowly, "and a mermaid, this is absolutely insane!" He exclaimed loudly. He was neither angry nor disappointed, he simply looked awed. His face turned serious, like the faces of guardsmen. "How will you rule your kingdom and mine?"

It was a question that had been idly waiting in my stomach, not wanting to be addressed.

I looked away, "I know, I know, I've been thinking about that and honestly I have no idea what to do. I don't want to leave here but I have a responsibility elsewhere. I'm sorry I didn't tell you before all of this," I gesticulated, "happened, I-" I was cut off by Aran placing his warm fingers over my mouth.

He shushed me, "we'll figure something out okay?" I nodded as he kissed me softly on the temple of my head.

"So tell me all about what it's like being a mermaid, and don't leave out any details." And so I told him. I told him about my life as royalty and how obnoxious it could be at times. I told him how my father wasn't the best king but he was definitely working through his major issues. I told him that I loved to read, and in fact that it was the reason why I had escaped to dry land. I explained to him how books were the one thing that kept my life rambunctious and interesting and he told me maybe that was the real reason why I left, because I wanted my actual life to be rambunctious and never in my favor, just like the lives of fictional characters. When I told him about Jacin, he did get slightly jealous, which I thought was absolutely adorable considering Jacin was practically my brother. Nonetheless he claimed that any male in my life he would be jealous of no matter who they were.