Chapter Twenty-Six

The Atlantian palace was quite a site to see. It shimmered under the water, like magic, and large fallen pillars surrounded the silver and gold palace.

All around the palace were small neighborhoods of people. Unlike Atlandria, Atlantia did not have regions, or villages, they liked to think of their kingdom as one whole. There was neither a  northern region, nor a southern village, there was only Atlantia. One force.

Their queen, Carol, ran her kingdom with an iron fist, but still promoted love and care. I admired her for being a true queen to her people, only cruel when need be, and a fierce lover of her kingdom. Carol was only twelve years older than I was, unmarried, and not looking for a mate, perhaps her kingdom was her only mate. She was independent and fierce. Almost everything I wanted to be, except not.

Being a queen wasn't something I wanted, especially now that the responsibility had been forcefully strapped onto my back. The power inside me fought my thoughts, but I pushed it down. It wasn't something I liked to admit, but it was the complicated truth that I wished was untrue. I shook my head, clearing my mind.

I didn't have a choice. Becoming queen was inevitable, anyway.

Our small group meandered closer to the palace, ignoring the curious eyes that followed us, and the voices that held sympathy when they spoke our names.

Jacin stuck close to me, always looking for a threat. "Everyone here looks so innocent." He whispered in my ear.

I elbowed him, "don't judge, Jace. What if they hear you?" But he was right. Everyone here did look innocent, even if Atlantia was known to have strong fighters. I had expected the Atlantians to look cold and mysterious, but instead they looked peaceful and maybe even, scared?

The guards at the front of the palace spoke with us and explained that the queen was currently having lunch, and was not to be disturbed, they offered to serve us, should we be hungry. We accepted the offer gladly, with grumbling stomachs. The dining room we were escorted to was the rustic  inside of a sunken ship with wood softened by the water. Though half of the ship was missing, the other half would suffice to hold a long table with stools on either sides of it. I could see small round windows on the wall behind the table.

Lunch was oysters, shrimp, and seaweed. It was nothing grand, but I was grateful to be full instead of hungry.

"The queen will see you now." A gruff voice that belonged to a blonde haired man stated from the broken area of the ship, that led into the sparkling palace.

The interior of the palace was even more impressive than the exterior. Everything was made entirely out of sunken human objects. Pillars were placed randomly, metal ships were molded into walls to form the palace. From afar the palace might have looked like a random shack or cluster of sunken objects, but up close it was an amazing building.

We were led to the throne room, and the first thing my eyes met were the eyes of Queen Carol. Her fiery blue eyes sparkled with curiosity and suppressed arrogance as she sat on her throne of gold confidently.

When she leaned forward, her crimson hair flowed with her. "Miss Forest Atlandria, you seek aid from me." It was a statement, not a question, she had already assumed why we were here.

"Yes, my kingdom is in great danger." I said nervously. No one had taught me how to be a political negotiator, all I could do was try my best.

"Lucky for you, I'm willing to give you aid." I eyed her wearily.

Amusement sparked in her eyes as she noticed the stare I was giving her. "Princess! Do not think that I am deceiving you in some way. I can assure you I'm not. Our mothers were practically sisters to each other, whether you knew it or not," she took my hands in hers, "I want to be friends with you, not enemies." She explained with such clarity that I let myself believe her. Carol was known for her kindness, should she choose to give it.

I turned to look at Jacin, to see him just as surprised as I was. He caught my eye and I could see he wanted me to trust her, I nodded.

"Thank you very much, you're Majesty. I appreciate your generosity. We have gold to offer you in return." I said, still hesitant.

Carol smiled, "oh, one chest will be perfect." Now it was my turn to smile.

A throat was cleared behind us, "you're Majesty, may I ask why only one chest will suffice." Nabu spoke, swimming up beside me. 

"Advisor! As I said before, I want to be friends not enemies, and friends don't pay each other for help." We would forever be in her debt.

"Now, princess," she took my hands again, "there is something you should know."

I looked at her curiously. "What is it?" 

She sighed, "It's about your mother."

Jacin and I leaned forward in anticipation, "Where is she?"

Her eyes met mine, "she's here." And just then, my mother came into the throne room, with a familiar warm smile on her face. 

"Mom!" I rushed toward her and engulfed her in the biggest hug I had ever given anyone. Our tails entwined as we hugged, and I felt some of the weight on my shoulders lighten.

"Oh my sweet girl, I'm so sorry." My mom's eyes shined with love and heartbreak. Her face looked fatigued and her cheeks were sunken in. Her dark hair floated around her head, as mine did.

"No Mom, I'm the one that should be sorry, it's my fault." My voice cracked with vulnerability.

Mom sighed, grasping my shoulders she said, "sweetie, what's happened has happened. There is no one to blame, all we can do is move on. I don't ever want to hear you blaming yourself again, understand?"

I nodded solemnly and hugged her again, whispering in her ear, "I'm just glad your back, I've got so much to tell you."

_____________________________________
Happy Martin Luther King Jr. day! RIP MLK

Thank you for reading and hopefully the next chapter can be longer and better.

Stay tuned for more!

Drew