Epilogue

I was fifteen then. I'm now a sophomore in college and I live in Las Angeles.
I'm nineteen, turning twenty next month.
I hardly speak to my brothers anymore because Ethan has been on a book tour and Grayson is a movie director. If you're wondering about the boys, we don't really keep in contact. I still will meet up with Matt every once in a while for coffee. He's busy usually though. He was just an amateur actor before but he landed a break through role. I'm happy for him, I really am. After magcon, everything went downhill. My connection with all the boys was slowly being lost and I found myself not having any way to contact them. Like I said, me and Matt occasionally met to catch up but he's been busy lately. It seems as though everyone is. I've also hung out with Shawn a couple of times.
Once the tour was over, Shawn and I dated for two years until, the accident. Shawn and I were together at the time, I got a call from a Unknown number but it turned out to be Nash. He seemed calm....an unsettling calm.
Nash began to explain that Hayes had been sick for a while and that the disease had finally caught up with him. I was not fully aware of what that meant. I asked Nash. I remember clearly what Nash said, not knowing it would change my life forever. "Sydney...Hayes passed away this morning". Those words sent me into a spirally downhill. Shawn and I decided to break up because I was emotionally unstable. I wasn't a mess because I still loved Hayes, no of course not. I was depressed because of the memories behind the palm tree, his eyes that lit up when he laughed, and the fun times we had at the fair. I couldn't comprehend what was happening, I didn't believe that he was gone, I was in denial.
That's was three years ago today.
June 9th
The day after his birthday, he died.
He had just turned 17 years old.
I remember that day. I was debating for hours wether or not to say Happy Birthday.
I ended up texting him, not knowing that a simple 'Happy Birthday !!' was the last thing I ever would say to him.
It's not like it matters now.
Everyone was at his funeral.
It was a sad and happy time.
We all got to celebrate his life and I also became reunited with many of my old friends.

Currently, I'm studying to become an arts teacher. Shawn and I are on and off because the emotional toll of Hayes' death is slowly fading and but Shawn's world tours are a lot to keep up with. He's starting his European tour today. Last time I saw Shawn was two days ago when we went out for lunch to catch up a bit.

I live in a huge apartment with my cat Sunny.
It's Saturday June 9th, 12:16pm.
I don't have any big plans today besides one. To visit Hayes.
While Hayes was sick, he told Nash that he wanted to be buried in a certain grave yard in LA. It's a 30 minute drive to there. I went yesterday since it was Hayes' birthday.
I brought him some tulips for his birthday because when we were at the fair together, he pointed to some tulips and told me that they were beautiful. He then told me "but they're not as beautiful as you"
I grabbed my car keys and drove to my destination.
I walked throughout the graveyard knowing exactly where I was going. I smiled looking at all the beautiful flowers on top of the gravestones and sprawled across the ground.
I found my destination and sat down cross legged.

"Hey buddy" I said while picking a dandelion from the ground and setting it on top of the stone.

"I know I say this every time I'm with you but I really miss you Hayes. I miss how no one would laugh at my jokes besides you. I miss spending time with you and God, I miss your laugh" I moved my legs so my arms were wrapped around them. I sat there, in silence, for a long time. Just wanting to have some quality time with him.

"I hope heavens treating you well buttface" I rested my hand underneath my chin.

"I'll see you in a couple of years and you better give me one of your famous hugs, I could really use it right about now" I looked at the gravestone. Benjamin Hayes Grier. I smiled to myself. I remember once he told me what his real name was, I wouldn't stop calling him Bengi for days. He got so mad at me. I laughed, those were the best days.

"Don't get too lonely while I'm gone, okay" I stood up and patted his gravestone.

"I'll see you soon enough, old friend"