Chapter 30 - You Can't Run Away from Trouble, There Ain't No Place That Far

"I don't understand why we can't just sleep in the car", Harry muttered.

Louis and Gemma ignored his idiotic sentence and walked inside the motel. They booked one room and Gemma paid it with cash. They wrote fake names and other information in the papers and then quickly disappeared into their room.

The place wasn't in any way fancy, but it was just fine to them. Since they had booked the cheapest room possible, there was only one bed and it wasn't even king-sized.

"Louis should have it", Gemma said, "because he's the one who has broken ribs."

"I can sleep on the floor", Louis tried but Gemma didn't listen him so after they all had showered and Gemma had received a message from Liam telling that they are fine and on the road with their families, Louis went to the bed and Gemma and Harry slumped down on the floor.

Louis gave his pillow and blanket to Gemma because he knew he and Harry would be able to manage without them. But even though they all were really tired, Gemma was the only one to fell asleep. Louis couldn't keep his eyes closed so he was lying on his back, eyes staring at the ceiling. He knew Harry wasn't sleeping either by just listening the way he breathed.

"Since you're not sleeping", Harry's voice came quietly, "we could clear up some things."

"What things?"

"I want to remind you about what I said back in the cellar", Harry answered. "That kiss changed nothing.

"Since you brought it up", said Louis, "you might as well tell me why did you kiss me?"

Harry took his sweet time to answer. "Because I wanted to."

That was enough to make Louis go quiet and smile.

"I can literally feel that you're smiling", Harry muttered. "Stop it."

"I'm afraid I can't do that", Louis said. Suddenly Harry's face popped into his view and Louis' smile widened. "Hi."

"Stop", Harry demanded and Louis just smiled even bigger. "I'm serious, stop, Lou."

"I can't", Louis said, "and you called me Lou. Ah, don't look at me like that, sit down."

To his surprise, Harry did. Louis examined his face for a moment and then said, "You should sleep."

"So should you."

"I'm not the one who needs to drive."

"No, you're the one who needs to heal his broken bones."

"It's no use to heal them if I'm just going to die in a car accident."

Harry sighed and shook his head. "You just gotta get the last word, huh?"

Louis grinned. "I can't help it", he said but then got serious. "Harry... where are we going next?" He kind of expected Harry to say something like, we're not sticking together, but Harry didn't.

"Somewhere far away, I suppose. Leave England, preferably. Where were you the whole year, could we do the same?"

Louis bit his lip and not because he was hurting. "I was in Switzerland."

Harry frowned and Louis knew Harry was suspicious. "The whole year?"

"Well..."

"Well?"

"I came back to England after six months", Louis confessed and oh boy, did Harry look angry and betrayed.

"Six months? You were in England for six months until you decided that I'm worth of saving?" Harry hissed through his teeth.

"I thought you said you don't need saving", Louis squawked.

"After one year!" Harry stood up, pulling his hair. He was really angry and Louis couldn't blame him. It was bad enough that he had let Harry there for a year.

"I was checking up on your family", Louis tried, "just like you wanted me to."

"You don't need half a year to do that." Harry turned to glare at Louis. "Do you realise how many things could be different? I could've been there for Gemma, I could've said goodbye to my mother!"

Of course Louis realised that, it was the main reason for Louis' guilt and why he had been about to jump off a cliff when he heard that they came too late. "I'm glad to see that your mother's dead finally got some humanly feelings out of you."

"Fuck. You", Harry hissed and took his jacket, heading to the door.

"Where are you going?" Louis asked, sitting up nervously, forgetting the ache on his body.

"Out." Harry opened the door and froze.

"Peek-A-Boo!" Malik sing-songed and sucker punched Harry, and when Harry bent down gasping air, he kicked Harry in the face with his knee, knocking him out. Louis yelled Harry's name which made Gemma woke up and Malik grimaced. "That's for my nose."

More or less smoothly Louis slid out of the bed to stand in front of Gemma as a human shield. Malik stepped over Harry's unconscious body to inside their room, following by Vitali, Aleksei and Dmitri. Somehow Louis wasn't even surprised that Dmitri had joined in. At first he was confused about how did they found them but Louis realised the answer immediately; they had tracked Gemma's phone. He and Harry really had forgot something important.

"Is Harry okay?" Gemma whispered to Louis behind his back, but he didn't answer because now he was busy figuring out how the fuck dig their way out of this one.

"You want to get the answer right now, or shall I wait until you get there by yourself?" Malik said, and Louis wanted to punch him for knowing his thoughts. And for being right. Louis shoulders slumped and Malik smiled. "That's what I thought."

Louis didn't look at him, instead he turned to look at Gemma, guilt written all over his face but there really wasn't a thing he could do in his condition, especially without Harry. "I'm sorry, Gemma." And when the realization spread on Gemma's face, Louis felt like throwing up. "I'm so sorry."