- PART FOURTEEN -

.: PART FOURTEEN :.

The bonfire crackled as the flames expanded, licking towards the dark night sky.  Little flecks of ash and sparks twirled through the late-summer air, dancing through the breeze like a fiery ballet.  In the distance, the sea's peaceful waves lapped at the rocky shore.  The full moon's glow reflected across the calm water.

Scattered logs and lawn chairs surrounded the fire.  Seven teenagers sat around, drunk, chatting about nonsense.  The sand squished between their bare toes as they conversed, clinging to red solo cups and half-empty beer cans.

Niall lounged in a red folding chair with an acoustic guitar.  His fingers ghosted over the strings, barely audible— just soothing background noise, really.  He wore cut-off jean shorts and a tank top that scooped low to show off his chest hair. He was very proud of it. Too proud, if you asked Harry.

Harry sat at his left, bum plopped on a log.  His fingers curled around the neck of a glass bottle.  It was a strawberry wine cooler, despite Niall's protests that it was a "girly drink."  He took another sip of the lukewarm beverage, lips puckering from its sourness.

Plastic cups littered the ground.  As Harry glanced around his lot of friends, he saw orange-tinted faces, illuminated by the fire's warmth.  Liam was curled up next to his girlfriend, Sophia, with his arm looped around her.  She nuzzled her face into the crook of his neck.  Liam stroked her silky brunette hair, pressed a gentle kiss to her temple.  She had his plaid flannel shirt draped over her shoulders.

Harry suppressed the urge to gag.  It's not that he didn't like Sophia and Liam— no, they were a lovely couple.  But he always felt lonely around them, jealous perhaps, like he would never find a love like theirs.

"Can't believe we're finally grown up," Niall mused, tweaking one of his tuning pegs.

One of Sophia's best mates, Perrie, fumbled to open a can of soda.  Her pink, acrylic nails flicked up the metal tab, releasing a loud fizz.  She'd styled her blonde hair in a braid.

"Don't get so sentimental," Perrie slurred, nudging Niall with her elbow.

He scoffed.  "This could be our last night together!  We're all headin' off to different universities soon."

"Well, not all of us," Liam teased, squeezing Sophia's waist.

Niall rolled his eyes.  "Right.  I forgot you two decided to go to the same uni, you inseparable lovebirds," he spat.

" 's not like they're any better," Sophia defended, tossing her bottle cap at her friend, Jesy, to grab her attention. 

Jesy was sat in the sand with her boyfriend, Jake, kissing in front of the bonfire's flames. They hadn't spoken in almost ten minutes now, too distracted with each other's lips.  Jesy's red-tinted hair flowed through the wind.  She giggled as she separated from her boyfriend, her cheeks flushed pink with embarrassment. 

"Sorry," she muttered.

Jake cuddled her closer.  Honestly, they were worse than Liam and Sophia.  Practically attached at the hip— or rather, at the mouth.

Harry rolled his eyes.  "You all disgust me," he said through clenched teeth.

"You're just bitter 'cause you're single," Niall laughed. 

Harry frowned.  "So are you, Ni."

"True, but at least I'm gettin' laid."

"Fuck off," Harry pouted.  He took another swig of his drink.

"You'll get plenty of dick at uni, I'm sure," Niall assured, giving Harry's shoulder a gentle squeeze.  "The lads will be crawling all over you."

Harry doubted it, but he nodded anyway.