Chapter One

"Live or die, it doesn't matter to me, it's checkmate either way."

-Eren's POV-

"Eren wake the fuck up!" I groaned and rolled over, pulling the sheets tightly around me and over my head to block out the morning sunlight streaming through the windows.

"Armin did you just curse?" I asked sleepily, my head still may be fuzzy from just waking up so I might've heard wrong. I heard a little giggle and some more bouncing on my bed.

"Yep! Grandfather lets me use curse words now! Only when I need to though." I chuckled and slid out of the covers, exposing my shirtless torso to the morning cold.
"Was it really necessary to use the word 'fuck' while waking me up?" He gave me a mischievous smile and shook his head.

"No, but I don't care because I'm a bad boy now." I rolled my eyes at his comment and stood up to go to the drawer, I picked out my favorite black fur lined parka, white skinny jeans, a pair of warm knee high black boots, and a long sleeved blue shirt. I picked up my clothes and ran to the bathroom before anyone could claim it and shut the door to take a shower.

Once I finished my shower and dressed I went downstairs for breakfast and saw Mikasa and Armin already sitting there eating bowls of cereal. Mikasa noticed my presence and gave me a little wave towards my seat where the cereal was waiting.

"Good morning Eren." Mikasa greeted in her usual bored tone, I walked over to her and placed a small peck on her cheek before sitting down.

"Yeah well not really, I was woken up by the sounds of a shrieking majestic eagle." I joked, Armin blushed bright red and slapped my arm, I snickered quietly and spooned some cereal into my mouth.

The rest of breakfast was a silence that was neither awkward nor tense just a calm peacefulness. After it we dumped our bowls into the sink and pushed open the door to begin the trek to school.

After about a mile out I noticed something different, usually the street would have people walking around looking for the catch of the day or the crystal stalls would be filled with players but today it was almost empty save for a few stragglers here and there. The last time I saw a place so empty was when... that Beater showed up.

Beaters are really high level players that lure people into a game and challenge them over and over before your Life marks are almost up. One came through here a couple of years ago and almost wiped out the entire neighborhood, is that what's happening now?

"Mikasa, do you think it's a Beater?" I asked my unusually quiet sister, she suddenly reached out and grasped my arm.

"Eren, do you know what today is because I remember something about an important event." She said in a more serious tone then usual, I tried to search through my memories for something about a special day coming up soon...but as always my useless brain failed me and I shook my head in defeat.

I felt a small hand on elbow and looked down to see Armin watching us with a terrified expression.

"It's King Coronation Day...and we're outside."

At his words we froze. No...we're too far out. I quickly let my instincts take over and started dragging Armin and Mikasa back to the house before we were spotted.

"Hey!" Too late. I slowed down and turned around to face our capturer, a blond on a brown horse with the official palace guard uniform. Even had the green cloak. Lovely. His gruff voice ripped harshly through the deathly silence as he trotted his horse over to us.

"You three are coming with me."

~~~~~~

"You know, the black and white pieces on a chessboard are so similar yet so different. You and I, the White Knight and the Black Knight... Now, we just have to figure out who wins..."