Don't Pass Me By

When the bell rang again signaling the end of first period, I was glad to be going. The whole class had been awkward for me, courtesy of "Macca".

I tried to be the first one out the door because I had a feeling he would try to stop me- I have a knack for knowing these things.

"Miss Moss, a word with you, if I could?" I tensed up. "Come now, Don't Pass Me By."

I knew it. I thought about leaving and pretending I hadn't heard him, but one of these kids (most likely Tanner...) would rat me out. Ignoring Tanner and Gail's snickers I backed up to his desk.

"Yessir?" He looked up at me from some paperwork.

"So, do you like the Beatles?" There were so many sarcastic comebacks I could've used. But instead I nodded.

"Yessir."

He chuckled. "Alright." He didn't say anything else, so I started to leave. He didn't stop me, so I increased my pace and caught up with Gail and Tanner.

"Hey, guys! Look who it is!" Gail pointed across the hallway and I hoisted myself slightly to see what Gail saw. She's slightly taller than I am, but we're both pretty tall. Unfortunately, so is everyone else in the school (us being freshman).

"No way!" I jumped down from Gail's shoulders and started to run with Gail trailing behind me.

We approached the person of interest, still gaining speed.

"No running in the- oh my gosh!" We skidded to a stop and we were smiling face to smiling face with our ex-pre-algebra teacher.

"Ms Senneth!" I exclaimed. She had been my absolute favorite teacher in middle school, and was one of Gail's.

"Hi girls!" She wrapped us in a bear hug. She was a tiny woman, but she could hug. "How was your summer?"

"Great!" Gail told her. "I went to thirty different islands with my family- the only downside was my brother." Ms Senneth laughed.

"How about you, Winona?"

"Mine was as good as summer can be." I admitted. Summer wasn't really my season.

"You are crazy." Tanner remarked as he came up and stood by Gail and I.

"Well, I'll be seeing you guys!" She told us. I'm pretty sure I have her for Geometry, later in the day.

We said our goodbyes and continued on our way. Something made me stop though.

"Wait, Ms Senneth!" I turned back around and Gail did too, almost knocking Tanner over in the process.

"Yes, Winona?"

"Paul McCartney is our teacher!" Her eyes widened, how she didn't know I don't know. She's a huge Beatles buff too.

"Oh no way!" She grinned. "Show me." My smile fell.

"Well...I dunno how he'd feel about me barging back in. He got kind of weirded out when he found out that I was a fan." I shrugged. "I don't think he likes me."

"No Winona, he doesn't think you're weird!" Gail said. She was always trying to make me feel better about school and stuff like that.

"Well, I'll be sure to check him out later." Ms Senneth said. She winked at us. "If you know what I mean."