Help!

I shook her once, twice. Nothing.

"Winona, what's wrong?" I hadn't realized that I was starting to hyperventilate until Ms Senneth said that.

"She- she won't..." I began to shake her again, as if she were nothing more than a rag doll. "Mom, mom...mom, wake up..."

I backed away from the bed and almost fell over, and I landed in Ms Senneth's embrace. Paul took over and began to check her vitals.

"She's not responding." Paul informed us. "Julie, call an ambulance."

No- this wasn't happening. Yes, my relationship with my mother was shaky to say the least. But still, losing her would be...awful? Horrendous? What words can you use when describing the death of a parent?

I was suddenly crushed by something, it was Paul. He was hugging me, tightly as if it was his own mother dying before his eyes. Then I realized that he knew. Mary was taken from him at the exact same age. He knew- and he got through it. I will, someday. But then what do I do in the meantime? I'll stay in school, if it's possible. I can't imagine not having my teachers and friends there, by my side, week by week.

I was crying now. And Paul was too, I think.

Ms Senneth came back in and she wrapped an arm around my shoulder and guided me to my room, where we all sat on my bed. Eeyore actually left the heater to come lay with us. Even with Canary and Chita bothering him, he stayed. Pets are amazing like that.

"Things will get better Winona, trust me." Paul had the oversized dog sitting in his lap, quite possibly crushing his legs.

"Like they did with Mary?" I asked. A tear or two escaped his eye, and he smiled a bittersweet smile and nodded.

"The ambulance will be here shortly." Ms Senneth informed us. "There isn't anything we can do for your mother Winona, I'm so sorry."

"Let's talk. It always makes me feel better to talk to somebody- as long as it's the right person." Paul and Ms Senneth smiled, happy to comply.

"Now, I don't believe you ever told me what this gal's name was?" Paul patted the dog on the head.

"Chita." I told him.

"Where'd you get that from?" Ms Senneth asked.

"Like Chita Rivera." 

Paul chuckled softly. "I recall doing a photoshoot with her once. Lovely lady, she is."

"Have you seen many of her works?" 

I shook my head. "Not really. Only that one movie she was in with Sammy Davis, Jr. and Shirley MacLaine. 'Sweet Charity'." I sighed. "I have a few songs from the soundtrack on my phone too."

There were sirens to be heard outside. Chita jumped up and her and Canary pranced about Eeyore. Eeyore was a deaf cat, so of course none of this bothered him. He was more indifferent than Rhode at times.

Paul headed down the steps (skipping the fifth one this time) and he met the paramedics at the door and led them up to my mom's room. I turned to Ms Senneth.

"I could always live here alone." My pets were whinnying worriedly. 

"Winona..."

"My father paid it off." The rain fell softly and splatter against my window.

"Please, don't say such things."

"What else can I do?" A blackbird sprang from a tree and soared off alone.

"You can stop the nonsense and come live with Paul and I."