Every Little Thing

Trigger warning! No harm is meant to come to anybody by this chapter, the graphics are minimal but still don't read if you may be triggered. With that said, enjoy the long awaited update~

And just my luck, she was sitting right behind me. She didn't have her groupies with her, but that didn't mean she couldn't be ruthless and mean all on her own. And today...today was the one day I really did not need it. I mean, not that I ever wanted to take shit from Olive...

"Even your mother didn't want to stick around for you anymore." I gritted my teeth as her voice tortured my ears like nails on a chalkboard. If I ignore her, I'll get through class with no trouble at all.

"And I don't blame her..." She continued, babbling on about my personal life. Does she have no soul? My mother is dead, for God's sake!

It became worse when the people around us started tuning in to our 'conversation' and out of Ms Senneth's lesson. I did my best to focus, and I miraculously succeeded.

Until the end, that is.

She was becoming increasingly louder, and I started to hear some of what she said. The whole class was, too. I turned around finally to face her, and decided against it last minute. But she turned me back around, as if daring me to say it. In doing so, she pulled up my shirt sleeve. Ms Senneth and Olive were the only people close enough to see the faded cuts. But they were the only people I really needed to prevent from seeing.

And now, they'd seen.

"Winona..." something in Olives face went soft. She actually looked sympathetic. There was no sneer, no glower that boasted over another victory on Winona. Winona that nobody likes, Winona that doesn't need to live.

So yes, I cut. With all of the friends that I had, the bad aspects weighed me down more. I hadn't done it in a while. What Olive revealed was mostly tiny white scars. I wouldn't be in this situation if they weren't visible. But they were.

Ms Senneth choked slightly and sat back down at her desk. She then murmured something about having emails to answer and she gave the class a free phone usage period. The whole class cheered, and Olive and I just looked shamefully at the decorated classroom walls. Not this. Not now. Paul and Ms Senneth can't know this...so now that they do, what am I gonna do?

I tore my gaze away from the wall and saw Ms Senneth standing in the doorway. Before she could give me any sort of look, I turned away again.

Technically, I wasn't exempt from the free period. I pulled my IPod out and put my music on shuffle. The first song that came on was 'The Last Blues Song' by Helen Reddy. It made me think how much I wanted it to be the last blues song. The last bad thing. But it wasn't as easy as the upbeat, catchy song conveyed it to be. It never had been, and never would be. There was always something else to make you blue.

The  vibrations that rang up through my legs and the screeching of the classroom chairs told me that the bell had rung. I stood up and filed out with the rest of them, not looking back.

I didn't speak a word the rest of the day. Not in art to Rhode and Derrik (We'd all had our art class moved back, so now art was after Ms Senneth's class)...

"Winona, guess what!" Rhode tackled me as soon as I walked in, bouncing up and down as she guided me to our table. "I got into the acting camp!"

I simply smiled at her.

"Can't you talk?" I shook my head 'no'. "Sore throat?"

I thought a second, and shook my head yes.

Not in any class after that either. Not to Tanner or Gale, Mack or Henry- not that I do anyway- not anybody.

Then, the end of the day came. I didn't know if I should just go back to my house, or suck it up and face Ms Senneth. Chita and Canary and Eeyore were all at their house, and most of my things too. So whether I wanted to or not, Id have to choose the latter.

I climbed the stairs of the stuffy building and rounded the corner. Maybe I should just pretend that nothing happened. I could say that they were cuts from one time when I fell on some beer bottles of my mother's. But I don't think I could lie to my favorite teacher in the world...I just can't think of any good ideas, can I?

"Paul, I've been invited to visit the middle school by a teacher friend of mine who stopped by this morning." I heard Ms Senneth talking to Paul, and I slowed my pace a little. I caught Ms Senneth's eye as soon as I rounded the corner.

"Winona, are you ready to go?" She asked. I nodded slowly, suspiciously. Maybe she didn't see...but her behavior in class said something different. "Alrighty then, we'll see you at home Paul." She left, I noticed, without giving him the usual peck on the cheek. As we walked away, he looked sad and he waved at me solemnly.