Slow Down

The rest of the day passed by quickly, and before I knew it the rest of the week and the weekend had passed as well.

"I swear on my life, you guys!" Gail was telling Tanner and I as we walked through the front gate of school Monday morning. "I saw what I saw, and I know that I saw Ms Senneth and Paul McCartney in lip lock in the janitors closet!"

"You are nuts." Tanner stated, like it was a fact. He was indifferent, and I was intrigued- the usual.

"Gail, if you're screwing around here-"

"I'm not!" She exclaimed. "Look, I cannot stress how much I am not joking."

"Well, 'Mr Miser'." I recalled. "I believe you then."

"Somebody does!" She stated dramatically. I rolled my eyes but laughed anyway.

"If you two are so concerned about this teacher of yours, why don't you just ask her?"
Tanner suggested.

Gail started freaking out at his suggestion.

"Oh, sure!" She shouted. "'Hey Ms Senneth, made out with any legendary musicians lately?!"

I would've laughed, if it had been funny.

"You'd do well not to intrude on the personal affairs of others."

Holy Bungalow Bill. Paul was standing right behind us, looking furious. He had heard the entire thing.

"Mr McCartney, we-" he shook his head and stormed past us. I hadn't even noticed Ms Senneth behind us until she trailed shamefully behind him. Before they entered the staircase, she turned back and looked at us like she was disappointed in us.

I choked on my words and I wanted to follow them, but I knew I shouldn't. Instead, I walked glumly to my fifth period, lucky me, geometry with Ms Senneth.

I avoided eye contact with her as I approached her room. I passed through her doorway where she was handing out papers, and she purposely did not give me one.

I sighed and put my head in my hands. I didn't even bother with...anything. I didn't ask for a worksheet, and I sat there silently.

Soon enough the class was settled. I waited five minutes without doing anything still and raised my hand. "May I go to the nurse." I said, my tone wasn't really asking.

"Go." Was Ms Senneth's simple answer. I picked up my stuff and hurried out the door, upset and feeling slightly dizzy. Out of the corner of my eye I thought I saw her face soften- but what does it matter?

In the hallway I picked up speed, intent on getting to the nurses office before I had an anxiety attack. I mean, I really hate anxiety sometimes- look at what it does!

I passed Mr McCartney's room, and yes I've grown accustomed to the name (but it doesn't matter, he probably will never let me address him ever again anyways), and he came out just as I was in front of the door. I fell to the ground, and tried to pick my things up quickly.

He thrusted his hand into my face, I guess in an effort to help me up. I declined it and stood up by myself.

"Winona, where're you off to in such a hurry?" He asked, trying and failing to pretend that nothing had happened.

"Nurse." I spat.

"Why, what's the matter?" He asked.

"Anxiety attack, now if you'll excuse me..." He held out an arm to stop me.

"Winona, please. I'd like to talk to you about Ms Senneth and myself. You can sit in my room and relax, but James Paul McCartney is not one to leave mishaps unresolved." Seeing as I really didn't have a choice, I sighed and followed him into his room.

"Well..."

"Ms Senneth and I are indeed seeing each other." He explained. Really? I couldn't tell! Seeing my sarcastic expression, he raised an eyebrow. "Now wait, Winona. There's more."

"I dunno if I can take anything more today." I mumbled.

He took a deep breath. "You're the only one who'll know this Winona: Ms Senneth and I are getting married."