Chapter 10 - Crack of Dawn

Lion King. Its plot is a timeless fable about bravery, betrayal and putting one's past behind him. A story which captured every nineties kids' heart. This has been a well-researched project. Every staff at the rear of its success sat on pins and needles. From voices, animation, and musical scores; it was beyond doubt a tale to be told a zillion times. Autumn have great admiration for the composers of its musical scores: Tim Rice and Elton John. Someday she dreamt she'd be hailed in line with them. She relaxes her chin at the edge of her palm, daydreaming.

She whistled the melody of "Can You Feel The Love Tonight" tapping her foot. She sat in the grass of the garden located outside. Madame Maxine announced a slight rearrangement in their schedule. The faculty will be adding breaks in between classes. Who wouldn't be happy with this change? Autumn constantly hummed until, "I see you're alone in these parts," said a weird accent with much formality. She leaped shell shocked of who it was: Jared Vladimir.

His fangs were showing with every move of his lips. Autumn covered shaded her eyes with her bangs from the sun. She moved aside letting Jared sit. His get up was out of fashion for a sunny weather. But it seemed that he didn't mind. His navy blue hoodie protects him from the scorching sun. Autumn was quite the opposite. The sun was frying her precious pale skin. She moved to a tree nearby, a few inches away from Jared.

She couldn't stand the feeling of him there. After questioning his actions of taking pills during class, Autumn found it impossible to engage in a conversation with him. What would she say? Hello vampire kid, she thought. Is this what I suppose to say? This is embarrassing. Then she noticed that Jared moved closer. "You know you shouldn't be ashamed of speaking out your mind," he said. She avoided responding to this. Long silence. Autumn took one step away. Jared followed suit. Autumn back stepped. Jared side stepped. They were dancing.

"What's your deal vampire?" Autumn said, raised an eyebrow. She was pissed off.

"Nothing," Jared said.

"Why are you following me?" asked Autumn.

"I do not know what you're talking about," denied Jared.

"Yes you do," urged Autumn.

"No, I do not," imposed Jared.

"You do," reproached Autumn.

"I do not," defended Jared.

"You have an odd syllabication," ribbed Autumn.

"Are you really eleven?" said Jared, taken aback.

"Yes, yes I am. Why so?" asked Autumn.

"Your words are profound," observed Jared.

"Yours too," praised Autumn.

"I see we have a thing in common," said Jared. "But I hope you speak in a vocabulary that everyone will understand. For you to fit in."

"I'll try," said Autumn, doubtful if she'll ever speak that way.

"How about you? You speak differently as well," reasoned Autumn.

"I am an exception," bragged Jared.

"Whatever," remarked Autumn.

"You are starting to talk normal now," teased Jared.

"Let's race to the Black Lake," challenged Autumn.

Miles away was America. In their home in New Jersey, Teeban smoked his pipe, missing Autumn. The sad smell of silence filled the living room. He pressed a few keys of their piano imagining Autumn playing. The varnished wood was lifeless. The black and white keys were out of tune. The house was empty. He stared at the circular puffs of smoke he breathed out through his nose. The circles were swiped by strong air. Teeban watched the fireplace burn. At the back of his mind, he was expecting her, the love of his life. "Peverell," he spoke with longing choked by the smoke.